Join now - be part of our community!

understanding z series model numbers

profile.country.en_GB.title
alpinehermit
Visitor

understanding z series model numbers

I haven't even got a Vaio yet. Can someone possibly interpret the model numbering for me?  For instance, I have come across the VPCZ12V9E/X and the VPCZ13V5E and the VPCZ13V9E/X.  What is the significance of the 13 in comparison with the 12, and the 9 as opposed to the 5, and the presence or absence of the X at the end? The higher the number the better the spec, presumably, but I haven't anywhere found any explanation of what the numbers signify.  Sony offer the possibility of ordering a Vaio to one's chosen configuration but the model number doesn't change according to one's chosen config, which doesn't assist understanding.

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi alpinehermit,

welcome to Questions & Answers..:smileyhappy:

VPCZ13V9E/X would be a newer version than VPCZ12V9E/X and there may be changes to the specifications.

You can check out the differences of the two models you mention by comparing there specifications using the following links..

VPCZ12V9E/X Specifications
VPCZ13V9E/X Specifications

The VPCZ12V9E/X & VPCZ13V9E/X are pre configured models where as the VPCZ13V5E is slightly different as you are able to configure  the basic model from a selection of options to suit your own needs..

Hope this helps to anser your question..

profile.country.en_GB.title
alpinehermit
Visitor

Yes, thanks Thalamus.  I'm in France but want to order a laptop with a QWERTY keyboard from the UK.  I like the Z series v much, but they all seem to need the Fn key to be pressed in order use Home/End/PgUp/PgDn which is a big disadvantage. 

Am intrigued that when I go to MediaMarkt in Geneva the laptops are mostly 13.3" and there is no mention of battery life, although a full spec is provided beside each display model.  In the UK almost everything on display is now 15.6" and battery life is stated (tho' in the end it doesn't mean a lot).  In Geneva, apart from the Vaio I found a possible Toshiba - but that particular model doesn't exist on the Toshiba UK website.  It's not easy...