Join now - be part of our community!

update graphics card??

robhopkins
Visitor

update graphics card??

I have a sony vaio PCV-LX1. Can I replace the graphics card with a newer more powerful one. Even if it is a different brand. If so, what will this do if I have to do a full system recovery from the Sony recovery disks which will not contain the new graphics card drivers???
Thanks in advance

Rob

15 REPLIES 15
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

The fans being always on in a desktop is very normal, if they weren't I'd be worried as something has gone wrong with the fan.

Anyway, these new gfx cards they use a lot of power, and that equals a lot of heat. If you really don't like the noise get a Zalman fan, they're like a flower that fits on the GPU. Nice invention in my opinion.

robhopkins
Visitor

thanks to all

robhopkins
Visitor

I have a new pci graphics card.
how do i disable the on board graphis in bios??

chuckalicious
Visitor

My first question is: are you getting an output form the enw card that you have installed?
If so, you should just be able to disable the old card in the device manager. If you are on XP, richt click on My Computer, click on Properties, then the hardware tab, then the Device Manager button. Find the card, probably under Display something or other, but possibly under system devices, as it is integrated. From there, go to the properties of the old card and check the disable box. Should be all you need to do

iainjturner
Visitor

No, if the old card is an integrated card (on the motherboard), then you need to diable it in the BIOS. Press F2 when the Sony logo appears when turning the computer on, then search around in the BIOS for something like 'On-Board graphics disable'. If it is a PCI or AGP card, you need to simply remove the drivers of the old card.

robhopkins
Visitor

the other problem i have just realised is the mouse and keybory run out of the sony lcd monitor which has a 'sony type plug' on the end of it. Not the regular monitor plug..

I think im stuffed!!