Join now - be part of our community!

Updates on Sony Vaio VGN-FE11S

guitarguy
Visitor

Updates on Sony Vaio VGN-FE11S

Hi Guys!

I have 2 questions about my new FE11S:

Can I update memory to 667Mhz type sodimmms?

any compatible hard drive with 7200 RPM? I dont mind if its bellow the 160 Gb I have, but I need a faster one instead of a bigger one.....why sony installs a 160 gb one with a 4200 RPM?
sure all of us preffer a faster one!!!

9 REPLIES 9
profile.country.en_NL.title
Carelino
Visitor

No, you can not update memory to 667Mhz type sodimmms. It's no use because the laptop only supports 533Mhz.

Sony put a 160 GB in it because they wanted the user to have space working with video files. I love it....4200 is fast enough. But if you really want faster ofcourse you can put it in. In that case I would buy a external 2.5 case so you have a external harddisk of 160 gb wich is nice to carry allong.

Dont forget if your harddisk is faster it makes more noise, gets hotter and will last shorter.

mvveelen
Visitor

I bought the 667 dimms (2 x 1024), one for my girlfriend and one for me.
I already contacted the supplier why they sell them, and their answer was that they would contact Sony about it.

That was 2 weeks ago and I just sent a second email asking them why it takes so long.

I feel ripped off a little bit.......

But maybe it could be supported in the future by a Bios update ?? Maybe ??

ocatarineta
Visitor

Hello,
I'd like to have same upgrades on my FE11S.
DDR2 667 gives no benefit over DDR2 533 because of higher latencies on one hand, and the dual channel configuration that gives even with DDR533 more bandwith than what the processor can use.
For the hdd I'd like to use a Hitachi 7k100 100gb. The problem is that there is yet no suitable 2.5" sata drive enclosure available in europe for the original Fujitsu drive. I found one from eMagic in UK, but it cannot contain a 12.5mm drive. The only one I found that can contain this mammooth is the one from CoolGear, but it is not shipping in Europe :cry: .

guitarguy
Visitor

well I will keep on searching...If I came across with something interesting I will post it here.....

Cheers!

mvveelen
Visitor

Well, it is true : 533mhz is the max.
667 is "overkill", so I get for the 2 laptops I bought : 2 x 512Mb memory (533mhz) and a approx. 50 euros credit.

So in each laptop I'll have 1,5Gb memory, that's cool.

A nice solution I think.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

You should notice performance inprovments, but the hard disk might be your bottleneck, as it's only 5400RPM

ocatarineta
Visitor

It's even worse: 4200 rpm

profile.country.en_NL.title
Carelino
Visitor

Yup it's 4200, but also 160 GB and it will last longer, and will become les hotter then the faster ones and it is more quiet.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Yup it's 4200, but also 160 GB and it will last longer, and will become les hotter then the faster ones and it is more quiet.

True, but not good for video editing (that's why they're VAIO not AIO)