Join now - be part of our community!

Upgrade from Core Duo to Core 2 Duo

EaglePeter
Visitor

Upgrade from Core Duo to Core 2 Duo

Hi!

I have a SZ2HP/B And are thinking about upgrading it from the original installed Core Duo processor to a Core 2 processor. Is there anything that makes this impossible or something that I should have in mind when doing so? I'm also planning to install a 160GB HDD instead of the preinstalled 80GB HDD.

Any tips or point of view are of interest.

Peter

7 REPLIES 7
sunking101
Visitor

Yeah, why bother? If you're that unhappy with yours, buy a new laptop. There are hardly any performance differences that you'd notice between a mobile core duo and a mobile core 2 duo and swapping processors on a laptop is unheard of.

apierc1
Visitor

I am pretty sure you cannot change your processor in a laptop due to most things being welded onto the motherboard, and it wouldn't be worth changing that, well that's what I have always been told :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
Gish_X
Explorer

EaglePeter
Visitor

thanks all for your help and point of view. My initial thought about switching to a Core 2 Duo was to get 64 bits and the 4MB cache and to get the slightly faster 2.0GHz instead of 1.66GHz.

Thanks Gish_X for the link showing the swap, it clearly shows that it's possible. I'm not familiar with Japanese? or what language it is, but the pictures tell the story!

Now I know that it probably is possible, will see about how I do, a change to a larger HDD is definitely on the list!:smileyhappy:

thanks again!

skykit84
New

I've got a 120gb in mine (SZ4XW/c) but I'm changing the drive to a smaller but faster drive!
Its a 100gb 7200rpm drive which should easily notice a difference
I did this in my sz2xp and straight away i noticed the difference

With vista, i hope to see the same difference and hopefully have less load on the system overall

profile.country.GB.title
Gish_X
Explorer

EaglePeter
Visitor

Ak8sh4:
You say that when changing to a 7200rpm drive you noticed a difference in speed right away! I was thinking of going for the larger space instead of the faster drive, now, after reading what you say I'm not sure what to do! Just out of curiosity,is there a way to delete the recovery partition. I don't have any use for it now since I have installed Vista.

Gish_X:
Yeah, the risk of destroying my laptop is the main issue that makes me hesitate when it comes to change processor. I appreciate you tips. It has made me aware that it is possible and also of the tricky parts that I need to have in mind if going through with it!

A lot of thanks to both of you :slight_smile: .

Cheers
Peter