Join now - be part of our community!

UPGRADE HDD IN FE21M

Smilfink
Visitor

UPGRADE HDD IN FE21M

Hi,

I want to swap out my HDD in FE21M, i believe it is a Fujitsu 4200rpm 160gb 12,5mm height

Been looking at Seagate Momentus 7200.1 SATA 100gb 9,5mm height as i heard this one has great performance at a decent level of noise.

Please feel free to advice me on a different drive, perhaps 5400.3 with lets say 160gb instead, especially if that one is significantly more quiet.

My question is ofcourse this: How easy is it? considering its two different form factors on the drives.

6 REPLIES 6
Smilfink
Visitor

*Shameless bump*

surely someone must know if i can switch the 12,5mm 2,5" harddrive to a 9,5mm 2,5" harddrive... ??

Smilfink
Visitor

*bump*

Smilfink
Visitor

BUMP

Smilfink
Visitor

*Bump*

seriously.. doesn't anyone have any idea regarding this?

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Well - you are nothing if not persistent Smilfink !!

It's rude to 'bump' but we will all forgive you as this is your first (and second ... and third ............. post)

Welcome to Club Vaio and I'm sorry you have not received a reply yet.

Anyway - I think you will find that your existing drive has a 100 X 60 X 9.5 mm form factor so any standard 2.5 inch SATA hard drive should be OK.

The Seagate Momentus and the Hitachi Travelstar are both very popular but you must accept that 7200 RPM drives are more expensive and also noisier. For general use, the 5,400 RPM longtitudinal drives are absolutely fine but the 7,200s will be a just a little bit quicker.

:wink:

Smilfink
Visitor

Thanks for your reply,

although I know for sure that its 12,5mm height on the drive, the fujitsu specs on theire homepage and numerous sites about the MHV2160BT drive tells me this.

so.. the question remains, can i put in a standard 9,5mm height drive instead of this?

surely someone must have tried since its a common line of notebooks (FE11, FE21, FE31?)