Join now - be part of our community!

Upgrade Vaio SVF15A1C5E to Win 8.1

SOLVED
gubohli
Explorer

Upgrade Vaio SVF15A1C5E to Win 8.1

...doesn't work.

Cannot find in any Sony recommendation that it should not.

Have (automatically) installed all updates (Windows and Sony Care).

When entering Store I cannot find any upgrade, allthough all other programmes upgrades perfectly that way.

So what might be the fault?

Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
takrzem

I'm still not sure why do you bother checking your installation with Upgrade Assistant - this is neither required nor expected. Results can (and surely are) very confusing.

Windows 8.1 Upgrade is like a Service Pack. if you have Windows 8 up and running, then you should be able to upgrade immediately without any major issues (except some obscure cases - but these are usually very well documented). I can vouch for my Windows 8 installation on the same hardware: it went as smooth as silk once I found the right tile...

In either case your problem seem to be somewhere else: Windows registration process that hasn't got finished / Microsoft Account that is required / etc. I suggest speaking to SONY Support in the first place and - if redirected - following that up with Microsoft.

Good luck!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi gubohli and welcome.

Have you followed Sony's Windows 8.1 Upgrade instructions?

These are in the attachment: -

:thinking:

gubohli
Explorer

Hi,

All updates are being made automatically, both the Windows ones and the Sony.

Have read that specific instruction several times.

The problem is that when entering Store there is nothing looking like upgrading to Win 8.1.

Have a feeling that my SVF15A1C5E have a Win 8.0 version that cannot be upgraded. Any chance?

takrzem

I have the same laptop and must admit that finding this particular tile within the Store was not that straightforward as this was not to be found immediately.

However, at the same time I can confirm that once you get your head around that not-very-intuitive-initiation-of-the-upgrade-process, you will be fine.

And then there's always Youtube as a last instance: :slight_smile:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-eUA6gtBe4

Also, did you sort out anything related to the Store app beforehand? Cannot recall now whether there's some kind of mickey-mouse registration process there...

Good luck!

gubohli
Explorer

Hi,

Would have liked to know how you managed finding the right "tile".

I can't even get into Store as smoothly as in your Youtube clip. I can enter Store only to find a lot of programmes I'm not really interested in.

When checking compatibility using Upgrading Assistent for Win 8.1 I've been told to remove three items of which I've managed two.

Intel Bluetooth Wireless High Speed remains to be removed. How? Can't find that app/program.

takrzem

OK, so there must be something funny with your installation or configuration I'm afraid.

I originally sort-of expected that the update option would be available somewhere in Control Panel through 'Add Features to Windows' or however it's called. As it was not there, I've googled where to look for it and discovered that it must be done through Store. I don't remember how did the tile look like in my case - I must admit that I can't recall such a big one as shown in this Youtube clip. But it definitely was there, somewhere. Have you tired 'search' option within the Store?

Also, more importantly, are you registered with Microsoft - be it within the Store, or Hotmail / Live / Outlook account? I think it's now called Microsoft Account. Not sure if it's relevant or not though.

--

EDIT: Have a look here:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-8/update-from-windows-8-tutorial

They are pushing for this. Also, do you login to your laptop using your local or Microsoft account? I do the latter.

--

I also did not have to go through all these points you've mentioned: upgrade assistants etc. It was obvious from the outset that my machine is eligible for this update - and it just happened once I clicked Upgrade.

Good luck!

gubohli
Explorer

I have indeed done all the things you mentioned and read all the possible information but cannot reach the result wanted.

I have a feeling the problem is the Intel Bluetooth Wireless High Speed - a program/app I cannot find and remove.

When checking compatibility using Upgrading Assistent for Win 8.1 I've been told to remove three items of which the Bluetooth is one.

Can it be removed. How?

Find two different Bluetooth programmes. So which one to remove? Is it safe to remove it? How do I get it back again?

takrzem

I'm still not sure why do you bother checking your installation with Upgrade Assistant - this is neither required nor expected. Results can (and surely are) very confusing.

Windows 8.1 Upgrade is like a Service Pack. if you have Windows 8 up and running, then you should be able to upgrade immediately without any major issues (except some obscure cases - but these are usually very well documented). I can vouch for my Windows 8 installation on the same hardware: it went as smooth as silk once I found the right tile...

In either case your problem seem to be somewhere else: Windows registration process that hasn't got finished / Microsoft Account that is required / etc. I suggest speaking to SONY Support in the first place and - if redirected - following that up with Microsoft.

Good luck!