Join now - be part of our community!

Upgrading a Vgn-Sr31m

profile.country.sv_SE.title
HarveySpecter
New

Upgrading a Vgn-Sr31m

Hello everybody!

I just bought myself a Sony ultrabook, which I by the way is more than satisfied with. Therefore I have given away my http://www.sony.co.uk/product/vn-sr-series/vgn-sr31m-s to my brother. However, I wonder about upgrades for it. What hardware is possible to change on it?

I would be grateful if anybody could help me out a little bit.

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.en_GB.title
firionicable
Visitor

It would be best not to change anything unless that particular hardware is already failing.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi HarveySpecter and welcome.

The truth is, laptop computers are not made to be upgraded like the older Tower Desktop computers.  Generally, all the components are matched to each other and of a similar performance. Replacing bits is not very efficient - best to upgrade to a new PC.  Sony do not offer any upgrades.

Generally speaking only the RAM and the Hard Drive are upgradable.  You already have the maximum RAM and a hard drive upgrade will involve reinstalling the Operating System and Software.

Replacing the processor is of course possible but not financially worth it - you would be better off saving up for a new computer.

You cannot upgrade graphics or chipset.

The best things you could do is UPGRADE to Windows 7 (Vista is cumbersome and slow) and consider a HDD/SSD upgrade (if you think it is worth the cost).

:thinking:

HarveySpecter
New

Thank you for the quick answers!

In fact the computer is already running on Windows 7. Correct me if I am wrong, but the chipset in the computer can take up to 8 gb RAM. On the other hand maybe there is something else in the computer that sets the limit. Do you know anything about that?

Moreover, would not it be possible to replace the original RAM with two running on a higher frecuency?

This is what I had in mind. I am not an expert so please, guide me! :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

There are other restrictions like the motherboard.  Also, a higher speed will not work or if it does, it will only work at the DDR2-800 speed.

Both Sony and Crucial say 4GB maximum RAM (2 X 2GB) and Crucial are usually very reliable.

So there is no evidence that more than 4GB or a faster speed will help - it is up to you if you want to try it at your own risk (and expense).

:thinking:

HarveySpecter
New

Okay, that's too bad. If I someday feel bored I can experiment a little bit for fun (when my brother not is at home).

Anyway, I think I am out of rookie ideas now. Thank you once again for your helpful answers.