Join now - be part of our community!

UPGRADING RAM QUESTION - VAIO LAPTOP SVF1521P2EB

SOLVED
jgn1982
Explorer

UPGRADING RAM QUESTION - VAIO LAPTOP SVF1521P2EB

Hi everyone,

I was hoping someone might be able to offer some advice on whether it is possible to upgrade the RAM on the following laptop ?

SVF1521P2EB

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/sony-fit-15-svf1521p2eb-15-6-touchscreen-lapt...

To be honest, for a casual user - internet, film, music,itunes, PS etc I thought 4GB was going to be sufficient for my needs - however, I am shocked by the laptop's ability to multi-task when compared to my previous Asus X53E with 6GB of RAM - the performance is so bad I am regretting the purchase - it is very frustrrating.

I would love to upgrade to 8GB or even 12GB if possible - can anyone point me in the direction of where I could buy RAM for this laptop and even if it is possible at all ? Furthermore, does upgrading RAM default the 1 year warranty ?

Thanks a lot in advance for you assistance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi jgn1982,

welcome to the Sony User Community Forum..:smileyhappy:

According to the SVF1521P2EB specifications your vaio has 4GB of RAM..

Crucial.com's memory advisor, a forum favourite supplier, states your Vaio can support a maximum of 12GB & recommends the following guaranteed compatible upgrade

If you want to check this you can also download & run there System Scanner tool

Sony have a guide on how to Add RAM in the user guide -  download here , a copy of which is below..

RAM1.JPG

RAM2.JPG

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi jgn1982,

According to the SVF1521P2EB specifications your vaio has 4GB of RAM..

Crucial.com's memory advisor, a forum favourite supplier, states your Vaio can support a maximum of 12GB & recommends the following guaranteed compatible upgrade

If you want to check this you can also download & run there System Scanner tool

Sony have a guide on how to Add RAM in the user guide -  download here , a copy of which is below..

RAM1.JPG

RAM2.JPG

jgn1982
Explorer

thanks a lot this is a very helpful reply and website

have a lovely day

jgn1982
Explorer

do you know whether the processor turbo is turned on as standard ? Asus has a speedo clock that tells you how quick it is processing, without this on the Sony I am never sure if the turbo is activated - it doesnt feel that rapid in all honesty

jgn1982
Explorer

can anyone shed any light on this ? still not convinced my laptop is running as quickly as it should

vauxfan
Explorer

i also have this computer and when i opened the back to add the 8gb of memory there appears to be 2 card slots. the bottom 1 has a 4gb card in it but the top has non? am i supposed to put the 8gb in place of the 4gb card or am i supposed to buy another 4gb and put it in the top slot and leave the 4gb thats already in the laptop still in there? or can i put the 8gb in the top slot and leave the 4gb in the bottom slot?

i was always under the impression though that both slots had to match?

any help as sony say this machine onl has 1 slot but it definately has 2.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

@vauxfan wrote:

i also have this computer and when i opened the back to add the 8gb of memory there appears to be 2 card slots. the bottom 1 has a 4gb card in it but the top has non? am i supposed to put the 8gb in place of the 4gb card or am i supposed to buy another 4gb and put it in the top slot and leave the 4gb thats already in the laptop still in there? or can i put the 8gb in the top slot and leave the 4gb in the bottom slot?

i was always under the impression though that both slots had to match?

any help as sony say this machine onl has 1 slot but it definately has 2.

Hi vauxfan,

I do not believe that there is any 6GB memory modules, therefore if you want matching pairs you'd have to stick with 8 GB (2x4GB) but if you want to have the maximum 12GB of RAM in your Vaio then go with Crucial's recommendation of the 8GB one..

So in answer to your question I would say put the 8GB module into the empty slot..

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

@jgn1982 wrote:

do you know whether the processor turbo is turned on as standard ? Asus has a speedo clock that tells you how quick it is processing, without this on the Sony I am never sure if the turbo is activated - it doesnt feel that rapid in all honesty

Sorry missed your second question jgn1982..

There isn't as far as I am aware any option to turn the Turbo processor on or off, Turbo boost basically switches in when demand is needed..

vauxfan
Explorer

So they don't have to match? Why is sony only quoting 1 card slot then if it has two?
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

@vauxfan wrote:
So they don't have to match?

No they do have to match & the 8GB DDR3 RAM that Crucial.com recommend should work fine with the currently installed 4GB module..

@vauxfan wrote:
Why is sony only quoting 1 card slot then if it has two?

Can you provide a link to where Sony state that there is only one slot in the SVF1521P2EB because I can't seem to see it..:smileyconfused: