Join now - be part of our community!

upgrading to ssd

profile.country.en_GB.title
umzyi99
Visitor

upgrading to ssd

Hi,

I own an E Series laptop with the 500gb hdd 5400rpm. I am looking forward to install a SSD drive to make it faster. I have a few questions.

1. Does installing ssd void the warranty?
  2. Will i be able to transfer the recovery partition to the new hdd and windows will activate automatically to the new hard drive without any problems?
  3. Which ssd's are recommended? I am looking to get Samsung 830 256 GB. Does anyone have any suggestions?
  4. Will I experience a significant amount of difference in the speed of the applications? The laptop has an I7 with 8gm ram but lacks the hdd speed.

Regards

Umzyi

9 REPLIES 9
mithcd
Visitor

Good luck on this. Upgrading to SSD can be trickier than expected. I would also love to see an advise here since I haven't done something like this myself. https://imagicon.info/cat/12-13/vmware_happy.gif

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi umzyl99,

Any action which means opening the Vaio's case will void the warranty.  Which exact model do you have?

You need to make at least 2 sets of Recovery DVDs to replace the original system onto the new drive.

Probably best to wait until your Vaio is outside Warranty.

:thinking:

umzyi99
Visitor

it is one of the new E series (SVE1511C5E) and I have just bought it. Sony wasnt giving a ssd option for this laptop while in configuration list. It is still in production.

I am not going to lift the whole case, just the hdd panel, same way we change the ram. If changing or upgrading the ram dosnt void the warranty, why then upgrading the hdd viods the warranty?

This means I have to live with the slow speed hdd for 2 years....

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

That is why I asked which model you have.

You will need to keep the old drive to replace it should you need Support from Sony - they will probably not support your system on a different drive.

umzyi99
Visitor

Can i chnage the drive and if for some reason I need to sent my laptop away for a repair under warrnaty, I can put the old hdd back in? I think that could work out...

Secondly, If i do choose to go ahead and chnage it to ssd, will i be able to move the recovery partition to the new ssd or make a recovery usb stick? Will the windows activate itself?

Thanks

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

If you make a set of Recovery Discs, these will replace the Recovery Partition on the new drive and the Sony OEM Operating System will also activate without needing an activation code.  It will only work on this specific Vaio model.

Make at lease 2 sets of Recovery Discs - just in case.

YogiMik
Explorer

I've just upgraded to Intel's SSD 520 Series 240GB, which I've found, after indepth research, optimally the best on the marked to date.

Did copy image of HDD using EASEUS Partition Master 6.1.1 Professional Editionhttp://.

The Recovery Partition came out on SSD as separate partition.

I'm running my S-series VPCSB  on it now. 

Just Google to get advise on how to optimize it. Not so difficult, but necessary to get it right, like alignment and other stuff.

At the beginning my SSD was getting too hot sometimes, and speed of read/write was half of factory specified.

I did some tweaking, now it doesn't overheat anymore. Read speed (that is more important) even has exceeded the factory specified one, but the write speed is still below, but I'm still working on that, to make it super fast and long life of SSD.

Boot time is below 10 secs. That means, time from push start - to open up and running all services incl. Kaspersky PURE Antivirus app.

For me, it is lightning speed comparing to the previous a lil' bit under 1 minute opening time with HDD 5400 rpm.

I will never go back to HDD again. I love my Vaio. Thinking to upgrade my 6GB Kingston RAM, cos my VAIO is intended to be used for HD Video editing. I don't know, how far I can get here. Any advise, or I should create a new topic?

Namaste to You all :slight_smile:

am using vaio VPCEG3AEN. E serise laptop with 320gb sata HDD. will it support 256gb SSD ? if yes then which types of SSD? and what changes should i make to use it at its full speed? 

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi nilanjan321,

I’m not familiar with this upgrade but suggest that you check out the Crucial site for compatible upgrade options.

http://uk.crucial.com/ScanListView?modelCatId=344518&storeId=10153&urlLangId=-1&urlRequestType=Base&...

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat