Join now - be part of our community!

USB 3.0 ports - compatibility issues with USB 2.0 devices (New Vaio VPCF13S1E/B)

profile.country.en_GB.title
LloydTwoscoops
Visitor

USB 3.0 ports - compatibility issues with USB 2.0 devices (New Vaio VPCF13S1E/B)

Hi there

I have reported this to Sony as an issue, but hope that someone here might be able to help!

I've just bought a Vaio VPCF13S1E/B (Intel i7, 6Gb RAM, 500GB 7200 rpm Hard Drive) running Win 7 - 64bit as a desktop replacement that I will be using for music production. (It's the one with 2 x USB 3.0 ports)

Everything is fine apart from a really annoying issue - I have a new Tascam US-800 (USB 2.0) external audio interface which installs fine (drivers + control panel) and can be selected as default sound recording and playback device.  It is not bus-powered and runs off its own Power supply.

However, I get no sound throughput at all when it's plugged into either of the USB 3.0 ports.

At first I thought there might be a problem with the Tascam, but it installs and runs perfectly on my old Desktop (Win 7 - 32 Bit, Core 2 Quad, 4GB Ram etc) and also works perfectly when I've done a test install on my wife's Dell notebook and my sons's Acer (both of which are running Win 7 - 64bit)

I've used identical conditions on the other machines (selecting as default device for playback & recording, testing play playing a sound file through iTunes & Media Player etc)

When I pug the Tascam (with difficulty!) into the USB 2.0 / eSata port on the Vaio, it works fine - problem here is that I need the eSata port to run a second hard drive at the same time as using the Tascam so I need to use the USB 3.0 ports

This all looks to be like there is something dodgy with USB 3.0 / 2.0 compatability - other devices such as external drives, mouse, keyboard etc work fine through the USB 3.0 ports

Has anyone else had this kind of issue? - are Sony working on a patch?

If anyone could help I would be very grateful

Cheers

Mike

1 REPLY 1

I have the same problem with USB 2.0 devices not being recognized on either of the 2.0 or 3.0 port on my VST1311V2SE Vaio. It goes deeper as drivers for USB are not found or have issues installing from either Windows or VAIO update. Since it's an OEM thing, I didn't get a Windows CD either, so I'm out of ideas here, but I suspect it's a SNAFU with their updates. Did you get any response from VAIO? I could use a lead myself.

Hopping to just be able to transfer my pictures from computer to USB in the future!

Carmen