Join now - be part of our community!

USB Mouse driver

ebmadhouse
Visitor

USB Mouse driver

Hi all,

I have a VGN-FE41S. I prefer to use a USB mouse rather than the integral mouse, but can't get it to work. It used to, but for some unknown reason stopped working when I changed the mouse. My current USB mouse is a Vaio VGPUMS30/S. Whenever I boot the laptop, I get a dialog box recommending that I search for & install a driver for the new hardward. I OK that and then get another message alongside the new hardware found icon saying that the driver has been sucessfully installed. However, the mouse still doesn't work. Anyone have an idea what I can do short of a full recovery ?

Cheers.

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi ebmadhouse,

do you have the correct mouse listed in device manager.?

To access device manager press the windows key+R to open the Run box type devmgmt.msc and press OK

Click Continue on the User Account Control window.

If you do not have USB mouse device listed, then could you let us know what do you have listed.?

ebmadhouse
Visitor

Hi Thalamus,

Thanks for your reply. Under Mice & other pointing devices, I have Alps Pointing-device for VAIO. Under Other devices I have Unknown device. I right-clicked and went to Update driver software, then got a dialog box which stated that "Windows found driver software for a USB mouse but was unable to install it because the driver installation file is missing a necessary entry. This may be because the INF was written for Windows 95 or later" (I have Windows Vista installed).

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Ebmadhouse.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

I have Unknown device. I right-clicked and went to Update driver software, then got a dialog box which stated that "Windows found driver software for a USB mouse but was unable to install it because the driver installation file is missing a necessary entry. This may be because the INF was written for Windows 95 or later" (I have Windows Vista installed).

Hi Ebmadhouse,

have you checked if there is a vista driver available for your Mouse.?

Also what make and model mouse do you have.?

ebmadhouse
Visitor

Hi Thalamus,

How do I check to see if there's a Vista driver available for my mouse ?

I have a Sony Vaio mouse, model VGPUMS30/S.

Thanks,
Ebmadhouse.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi ebmadhouse,

did you receive a driver disc with the Vaio mouse.?

ebmadhouse
Visitor

Hi Thalamus,

Sadly not !

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi ebmadhouse,

have you tired removing your USB mouse from your Vaio, and then removing the unknown device from under Other devices and restarting your vaio.

Once your vaio has restarted try reconnecting your mouse and allowing Vista to install the drivers.?