Join now - be part of our community!

using laptop as display for desktop pc

battersausage
Visitor

using laptop as display for desktop pc

hi there,
i just got my new vaio and i love it!

this might be an odd question:
can i use my laptop screen as the monitor for my desktop pc?

the reason I want to do this is because i'm moving into college accomodation and room space is limited and my 19" crt won't fit easily, and i'd prefer not to have to fork out for a new lcd/flatscreen, so it'd be great if i could use the laptop screen for displaying my desktop pc... am i making any sense??

any help would be great,
simon

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.en_GB.title
robpaxton
Explorer

It's not possible to use the laptop display directly but you look at using something like RealVNC

battersausage
Visitor

thanks a million Rob! RealVNC works really well. I can use the desktop keyboard and mouse but view the desktop display on the laptop screen... it's a little slow over 892.11b wireless network, but i'll get an ethernet cable and that should sort things out.

thanks again!

simon

jimmex
Visitor

Hi Rob - Thats for the tip....
I have a 21" CRT screen in our graphics office which has a colour problem (too dark) which we cant get repaired. Its great for design work because of the size but lousy for color proofing. Using VNC I can now check the colours from a remote unit without cluttering up the work space with a multiple monitor layout which we were having to do use before.
Neat solution until we fork out for a new monitor.... :slight_smile:

Thanks
Jim

profile.country.en_GB.title
robpaxton
Explorer

Pleased to hear that it has helped you both. Thanks for the feedback.