Join now - be part of our community!

Vaio All In One problems SVL2413M1EB

Explorer

Vaio All In One problems SVL2413M1EB

Fresh out of the box today and 7 hours later there's a high chance it's going back in the box and dumped back at the retailer.

1. Cannot activate Windows 8 either online or over the phone. Online it times out with error code 0x80072EE2, 'The operation timed out'. Trying to do it over the phone doesn't work with the generated code as it thinks this code has already been used before.

2. Internet Explorer 10 is unusable to the extent I can't even load Firefox or Chrome (assuming it's an IE10 problem). If it's not IE10 then what is it?

3. I refuse to call Sony's premium phone line to fix their *****ing problem machine. They should provide a freephone number.

I'm hoping someone knows why this brand new machine is behaving like a bag of *****.

I'm not surprised they make more money selling insurance than consumer electronics these days.

I've always had Sony computers before, and at the moment this one's going back.

(sent from an old Vaio running XP)

16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Can you confirm that your Vaio is connected to the internet correctly?  As both issues look to me as a network/internet connectivity issue?

Try going to a command prompt (instructions HERE) and type the following (pressing enter, once typed)

ping google.co.uk

if you get "request timed out" - you are not connected to the internet, and you will need to check your network settings.

Hope that helps

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi 471918 and welcome.

Not a good start I admit!  Check you are connected to the internet first as described above.

You should not need to activcate Windows 8 - it should activate automatically without having to enter an activation code.

Sony Support only work Monday to Friday during office hours so Monday is the earliest you can contact them.

Personally, as the Vaio is new and you will not have installed lots of stuff, I would try carrying out a Full System Recovery back to factory settings and hope that this fixes the issue.  To do this, press the ASSIST button with the Vaio turned off and follow the instructions in your Troubleshooting and Recovery Guide to 'Recover from the Recovery Area'.  You can download the instructions here: -

http://download.sony-europe.com/pub/manuals/consumer/4445107111.pdf

The recovery will take some time as, in addition to reinstalling all the preinstalled programs and software, it will need to run Microsoft Update and Vaio Update to install any update patches.  It will probably take hours rather tham minutes!!

Do NOT use the 'Refresh' option as this will remove everything but Windows from your computer.

Good Luck!

:thinking:

Explorer

Hi Quinnicus,

Thanks for your reply.

I'm hard wired into a Cisco router that has other machines with fast internet access.

I've swapped ports (and cables) on the back of the Cisco.

All the other machines are still fine when swapped.

I also pinged with the new machine and got reasonable times.

Explorer

Hi Blencoco,

Thanks for your reply.

I've done a full system recovery 3 times now (after trying all sorts of stuff).

This is why I'm so frustrated with the ***** thing!

takrzem

Are you sure you are connected though?

Can you browse the Internet using any of the browsers?

If not, what's the status of the network connection - does it indicate that connection to the Internet (not only to the local LAN) is established?

Explorer

Hi Takrzem,

Thanks for your reply.

I can ping beyond the router with the new machine.

The other older machines connected through the same Cisco have full fast internet access.

This new machine will finally load an internet page (BBC or Google, for example) after half an hour to an hour.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Does the Vaio come with Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 installed?

Either way, have you checked that the latest Wireless LAN driver is installed?

You can check the downloads page for your model here: -

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/SVL2413M1EB/updates

If you don't have the latest WLAN driver installed you can download and install it manually.

For Windows 8, install

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/SVL2413M1EB/downloads/EP0000314365_9168

For Windows 8.1, install

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/SVL2413M1EB/downloads/EP0000310965_9023

Explorer

Hi Blencogo,

It comes with Windows 8.

I'm connected via Cat 5e RJ45 into the Cisco

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Sorry about that!

Last hope - what Firewall/AntiVirus are you using?  Are you using the preinstalled McAfee or have you installed another?