Join now - be part of our community!

VAIO CPCEE2E1E not reading DVDs.

profile.country.en_GB.title
Mik3_JB
Visitor

VAIO CPCEE2E1E not reading DVDs.

I have a Sony VAIO VPCEE2E1E as the subject/topic title suggests, and for some reason it has recently stopped reading DVDs.

It reads CDs with no issue at all, but when a DVD is inserted though one hears it spinning there is nothing more to suggest that there's a disc in the drive at all. The laptop doesn't look to be 'thinking' via an orange light in the appropriate place, or by anything happening on the laptop screen visually.

I have tried the VAIO 'care's harware diagnostic, but it tells me to insert a DVD/ Data CD when there is already one in the drive.

It would almost appear as if there is no longer a driver for recognising DVDs, or if the same driver is used for recognising CDs then it's given up the responsibility.

Device manager tells me the DVD/CD-ROM drive is a TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-L633C SATA CdRom Device that doesn't need updating.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as you will imagine.

Thank you,

Mike

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Mike and welcome.

I assume you are still using the original Sony version of Windows 7 and haven't changed the OS?

Normally if CDs work and DVDs don't then it is a hardware problem and the drive may need to be replaced.

The drive uses a different laser frequency for CDs and for DVDs so it is possible the DVD laser has broken.  Try carefully cleaning the lens with a liquid lens cleaner and see if this helps.

Sometimes installed software may cause the problem but you would have to revert your Vaio back to factory settings to make sure.  Have you installed anything new recently?

:thinking: