Join now - be part of our community!

Vaio doesn't turn off properly

Curkovic
Visitor

Vaio doesn't turn off properly

Hi

I own a VGN-A115B
and when i close it, or when i press the power button to make it go into that "sleep mode" (sorry don't know the english word for it) it doesn't turn of totally.

I mean the "power indication light" (the one to the left) stays green (just as in normal running mode) and it makes the same noise just as if it was still turned on.
Then i can not do anything to eihter restart it or turn it off completely, except for taking out the battery...

Can anyone help me solve that problem?
Thank You!

Best Regards,

Marin

7 REPLIES 7
hldomster
Visitor

This is normal and isn't a problem. To shut down your computer completely normally you must go Start> Turn Off Computer > Turn Off. To change what happens when you shut your VAIO or press the poqer button then goto Start>control panel>Power options. Then click the "Advanced Tab". At the bottom it says "power buttons", here you can change what your VAIO does when you close the lid or press the power button. You can set it so that when you press the power button it shuts down.

Curkovic
Visitor

Thanks!

But why does it sometimes go into the standby mode and sometimes not, and sometimes it completely freezes so that I have to take out the battery?

hldomster
Visitor

hmmmm, I am not so sure. I think the information I have told you should fix it. THe default setting on my VAIo is that the system hibernates, which is different to standby. Perhaps your VAIO freezes because of something else. You maye need to check for spyware or run a virus scan. Try doing a disk defrag. THe computer freezing is normally due to a strain on system resources, I can't see it being a fault with windows, although I am unfamiliar with the version you are using and your VAIO. Try what I have suggested, if this fails, perhaps the others may eb fo help.

Also, if this problem is only recent try doing a system restore.

Good luck:smileygrin:

Curkovic
Visitor

"hibernate"
thats what i meant, not standby:)
standby works perfect.

anyways, like every other time i try to make it go into that mode some drive seems to go on working (that's what it sounds like), the power light stays on and i can do nothing to restart.

it started just recently after a vaio update, btw.

thanks for the help! ill try different things.

MARIN

profile.country.de_DE.title
seb21__
Visitor

No, idea. Maybe the Hibernate file is fragmented.
Go into the energy settings and disable the hibernate mode and click OK. That delete the file on your Harddisk. Then enable the hibernate mode again.

HTH

hldomster
Visitor

Alternatively don't hibernate, I don't see any real need for it. I noly ever use standby and shutdown. Infact mosrt of the time I never standby.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

I standby if I am away for >1hr and < 3hrs
Otherwise it's off completly