Join now - be part of our community!

VAIO doesnt recognise the USB stick, drivers needed?

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
Felena80
Visitor

VAIO doesnt recognise the USB stick, drivers needed?

Please help. My Sony VAIO (modelVGN-CS11S/Q) doesnt recognise the USB stick (Flash card). Device manager sees it but there are no drivers on the computer or online - search brings nothing. Never had such issue with any computer before. What do I do?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Felina80,

I’m afraid that I didn’t read your initial post carefully enough and not sure that re-installing the chipset drivers will resolve this problem. However they can be downloaded from the following link:

http://support.vaio.sony.eu/computing/vaio/downloads/preinstalled/index.aspx?l=en_GB&m=VGN-CS11S_Q

You haven’t upgraded to Win 7 by any chance have you?

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Felina80,

Are there any unknown devices listed or devices with a warning symbol in Device Manager?

The USB functionality relies on the chipset driver which can be downloaded from Support - click the tab at the top of this page.

Have you tested the flash drive on another computer?

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
Felena80
Visitor

Hi Rich, thank you for replying. Device manager sees it in - Other Devices - Flash Disk (with a warning sign)

When I click on the "Flash Disk" it opens the window where it says:

The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)

There is no driver selected for the device information set or element.

To reinstall the drivers for this device, click Reinstall Driver.

When I click to reinstall Driver it searches for it on the computer and online (I tried both options) but cannot find anything.

Can you please send me the link in Support from which I can download the chipset driver?

PS Flash disk works on other computers.

Many thanks for your help!

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Felina80,

I’m afraid that I didn’t read your initial post carefully enough and not sure that re-installing the chipset drivers will resolve this problem. However they can be downloaded from the following link:

http://support.vaio.sony.eu/computing/vaio/downloads/preinstalled/index.aspx?l=en_GB&m=VGN-CS11S_Q

You haven’t upgraded to Win 7 by any chance have you?

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

This is becoming ridiculous! Who marked this as the correct answer as it clearly is not:smileyangry:

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
Felena80
Visitor

Hi Rich

I tried to reinstall the chipset drivers but still no luck and I think Ive run out of patience with this machine(( I havent upgraded to Win 7, would it cost me to do it? If yes, Id probably choose to buy a new laptop instead. I bought this one in April 2009 and had nothing but headaches with it. The worst 700 pounds Ive ever spent:(

Thank you for your help anyway.

Elena

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Elena,

Upgrading to Windows 7 will cost but I was only asking that in case the update had caused a problem.

The usbstor.inf file could possibly have become corrupted. Try renewing this file by doing the following.

Open C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\usbstor.inf_xxxxx if there is more than one select the most recent.

Open the folder and right click usbstor.inf – select copy.

Navigate to and open Windows\System32\Inf and paste the file into this folder.

Try inserting the USB flash drive again.

If that fails to work then try the following:

Right click the device in Device Manager and select Update Driver.

On the next window click ‘Browse my computer for driver software.

On the following window click let me pick from a list of drivers on my computer.

Next window – click Have Disk – click Browse and navigate to C:\Windows\System32\Inf  - scroll down to usbstor.inf and click Open. This should hopefully present you with the correct driver to install.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
Felena80
Visitor

Hi Rich

Ive tried what you suggested - doesnt seem to work, although I couldnt find Inf location in System32 folder. I took PrintScreens of every step so that you could visualise what I am dealing with:) Let me know if you have any other suggestions, much appreciated!

Elena

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Elina,

Thanks for all the info..

“Navigate to and open Windows\System32\Inf and paste the file into this folder

Next window – click Have Disk – click Browse and navigate to C:\Windows\System32\Inf

Sorry for the confusion caused, both are incorrect locations and should read C:\Windows\ Inf:smileyblush:

Also the file that you need to copy and paste to C:\Windows\ Inf is the usbstor (setup information) file – not usbstor.PNF

That said, as you are able to read other flash drives, I am beginning to wonder whether it is a size or type issue, although with a machine as new as this it should not be an issue – what drives (manufacturer and size) can it read and exactly what flash drive are you trying to read that fails?

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
Felena80
Visitor

Hi Rich

I received your last instructions and did what you said, but still get nothing. Well, I put in the enclosed document what I get))

About Flash drives. The funny thing is that I am using flash disks I get through my work. One of them is identical to the one which I used on my computer before and it worked fine! It is still working in fact, when I use it. But the new ones (which also work on other computers) dont work on my Vaio.

Any other suggestions maybe?