Join now - be part of our community!

Vaio duo 13 wifi and updates

grannysurfer
Explorer

Vaio duo 13 wifi and updates

My new duo 13, bought last week, will only give me very limited wifi usually only 1 bar and keeps stopping altogether unless I am right beside the router, although the signal is fine on other laptops and phones and Kindle.  

I have tried to upgrade from Windows 8 to 8.1 and it won't allow me, says the BIOS needs to be upgraded but although this is showing on the update list it won't let me update and install this either, keeps saying contact  the manufacturer.

Please help it is very disappointing as I thought I had bought the prefect solution for our needs and to do so spent condiserably more the I had intended. 

1 REPLY 1
jamesme112
Explorer

Unfortunately the wifi issue you're describing is quite widespread and many users (including myself) have had similar problems. The issue seems to stem from the builtin wifi module which apparently isn't powerful enough.

The official Sony support for this is located at this URL

I personally have tried a number of different solutions, which I have posted here

Are you trying to update the BIOS through the vaio update center? When I updated mine, there was a URL in the description box which I had to click and find and download the update manually - vaio update couldn't seem to update my BIOS automatically either. Once that's done, you should be able to upgrade to Windows 8.1