Join now - be part of our community!

Vaio E series fan is very loud

profile.country.BE.title
danny606
Explorer

Vaio E series fan is very loud

I just bought a Vaio laptop SVE1712L1EW and the fan is pretty loud. It is almost always on. Only when on start screen or doing nothing the fan goes quiet. Is there any way to make the fan go slower ? I tried different energy settings but nothing. I am running Windows 8.

Temperatures are alway below 40°C, so there is no need for the fan to go faster at these low temperatures. I compared with an ASUS and it makes definitely less noise.

Laptop works great, very fast but the noise is too much. It is like when the dvd player is spinning at max speed.

Core i3 2.4GHz

HD7650

240GB SSD Samsung

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi danny606,

Not sure about Win 8 but machines with Win 7 have a thermal control strategy setting within Vaio Control Center > Power Management > Power Options.

If available it may be worth experimenting with the three mode settings - Balanced, Performance and Silent.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.BE.title
danny606
Explorer

I tried it, but no change. It still spins too fast. Is this so with all vaio laptops ? I cannot believe the engineers designed it like this.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi danny606,

No, this is certainly not the case with all Vaio notebooks. We have received reports in the past of models that did experience high fan noise/speed, some of which were addressed by a BIOS update.

Although there were a number of useful third party utilities to control fan speed for Win 7 I am not aware of any for Win 8 as yet.

As your notebook is new I suggest that you contact Support to report the problem.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.sv_SE.title
hioscar
Visitor

hey danny, i also just bought a sony vaio E series with a core i5 processor, 17 inch...

I too am amazed at how loud the fan is, its a nightmare for me as i record voice overs etc. and now dont know what to do, its only 1 week old!

There is nothing wrong with the fan, its just loud! blowing hot air out the left side of the keyboard ALL THE TIME. my last laptop, a samsung, which i was supposed to be UPGRADING from was so quiet

I am mighty angry at who ever from sony who made this laptop.

Message was edited by: -Cass-

Profanity