Join now - be part of our community!

VAIO Fan (VPCEJ)

profile.country.en_GB.title
nickwaind
Visitor

VAIO Fan (VPCEJ)

The fan on my VPCEJ Vaio laptop appears to be always on lately.

I run my laptop as my machine over and above a desktop PC, it's permanently on a laptop stand which is reasonably well ventilated, as good as it being on a desk anyway. It's hooked up to a monitor on the HDMI port.

I mainly do development work so really on have Visual Studio running and occasionally some graphics packages, but even from a standing start the fan seems to be always on.

Purchased April 2012

Any advice? I'm concerned that if it's a heat issue I could be heading towards other problems sooner rather than later.

Thanks in advance.

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi nickwaind,

Start by checking the temperatures at startup, when idle and under load,with a utility such as PC-Wizard.

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/pc-wizard.html

The temperatures recorded for CPU and GPU will give an indication of whether this is a heat problem or possibly a sensor issue.

If a temperature problem then cleaning the vents with compressed air may make a difference but otherwise disassembly may be required in order to carry out a thorough clean and/or replace thermal paste on the processor.

You could also check that you have the latest BIOS update installed (if available) – click the Support tab at the top of this page and enter your full model number to find updates available.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat