Join now - be part of our community!

Vaio FW21E - Replacing LCD Screen

bigmahon
Visitor

Vaio FW21E - Replacing LCD Screen

Hi, my Vaio is just out of warranty, and I have a badly cracked screen. I bought a new one, and am trying to replace it myself, but can only find 2 grommets covering screws on the top front of the bezel on this model. It has the funky cylinder hinge, which may have something to do with it. Can anyone help me before I pull more hair out? :slight_smile:

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi bigmahon and welcome.

I can't find a manual for the FW-Series but I have copied the following from a US website: -

To take the screen off properly, you need to:
- take out the screws that hold on the speaker cover. These are accessible from the bottom, and are located around the battery compartment. Take out those 5 screws plus the keyboard one, which is between the RAM compartment and the battery compartment.
- remover the speaker cover and the keyboard. these snap in. be careful not to pull too hard on the keyboard - so you don't damage the cable, which you can then disconnect after taking off the tape holding the connector closed.
- unscrew the speakers from their place.
- underneath the speakers there are two screws on each side. unscrew them.
- lift the screen portion of the laptop up and out, being careful not to pull on the cables. the whole hinge piece will come up. This does NOT include the outer pieces that look like they are part of the hinge (the power button and the power cable plug in part).
- take off the 4 screw covers from the corners of the LCD, unscrew the screws and pop off the bezel. Once you work it all loose the whole bezel will come off in an upward direction away from the hinge.
- from this point on its pretty obvious what you have to do.

:wink:

bigmahon
Visitor

Thanks very much! I'll try this out later on today. :slight_smile: