Join now - be part of our community!

Vaio FW31E recovery partition disappered.

h1ten
Visitor

Vaio FW31E recovery partition disappered.

Hi, i just got my FW31E yesterday and it all runs fine and everything. Yesterday when i went to MyComputer it did show my C drive and the recovery partition (D) today only the C drive is there. I am not sure when it disappered (whether it was yesterday evening or today) but i have installed a few programs, transfered all my stuff and created some recovery discs.

Now i have ran diskmgmt.msc and it does show the partion is there with no drive letter but worryingly it shows capacity as 12.91GB and free space as 12.91GB :slight_frown: .
Help please.

I'm running vista btw

thanks

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi h1ten and welcome to the forum.

Under normal circumstance the recovery partition is not allocated a driver letter.

My recovery partition also reports free space as equal to total capacity and this may have something to do with the EISA configuration, but I can assure you that it is there and working.

To confirm that all is ok you could always burn a second set of recovery disks....

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi h1ten,

welcome to Club VAIO.. :slight_smile:

As well as Rich's solution you should be able to access the recovery partition as follows..

Click on Start, then All programs, then Vaio Recovery Tool, followed by Vaio Recovery Centre.

Click continue on the User Account Control window..

A Vaio Recovery Centre window should now appear.

Select Re-install pre-installed programs and click Start.

Click Next and Next again, hopefully you should be presented with a list of programs that are available to re-install..

h1ten
Visitor

Hi, yeah i tried that and it does show the list of programs, so i am assuming that it is there. Ok that has put my mind to rest. But i am confused to as why it was there yesterday and not today. :thinking: Anyway on a slightly seperate note, i was burning the 4th disc for the recovery and it was at the stage of verifying the data and it asked me to insert a disc or something. Now that disc has been burnt i can see that but i dont know if all of it is on there, is there i way i can personally verify this. I dont have any dvd left to burn another one, i might be able to get a hold of one in that case how do i burn only the 4th disc.
thanks for the help guys.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi h1ten,

unfortunately the only way to verify if the disc's work correctly is to use them to recover your Vaio back to factory settings.. :slight_frown:

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

how do i burn only the 4th disc.

You can create a single disk in the set using the Vaio Recovery Center.

Select ‘Create recovery disks, and click next. You should then receive a message that the recovery disks may have already been created – To recreate a single disk click YES, to create all the recovery disks click NO.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat