Join now - be part of our community!

VAIO FX701 - screen all white

daverayment
Visitor

VAIO FX701 - screen all white

I've just come back to my machine after a short break, and the screen is all white. I've done a hard reset and opened and closed the lid a few times, but to no avail.

It doesn't look like there are any other issues. I can remote login from my other PC and the screen is being rendered fine.

I'd appreciate any help on this. Could it be a loose connection or a symptom of overheating or something else?

Many thanks,

Dave

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Dave,

It could be a loose connection or video adaptor problem.

“All white" suggests that the lamp and inverter are both OK. It would be dark or discoloured if the lamp has failed; it also would be dark if the inverter has failed.

Try an external monitor connected directly and see if there is an image. If so, that will limit the problem to something in the LCD processing: connections, cable, or mainboard LCD circuitry.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Dave,

Are you able to connect your vaio to an external monitor, if so is your desktop displayed..?

Edit.. Hahaha evening Rich.. :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Edit.. Hahaha evening Rich.. 

Evening Thalamus, beat you to it for a change :wink:

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
daverayment
Visitor

Hi,

Wow! What a quick response!

In answer to your queries, I've attached a monitor and it worked fine after a reboot. I'm still getting the white screen on my laptop display. It seems that the backlight is fine, but the video signal isn't getting through.

Do you have any suggestions about how to proceed? I've taken the laptop apart in the past to install a new HD, but that's about the limit of my abilities. I've had my machine for quite a few years now, but it would still be a shame to give up on it :slight_smile:

Many thanks,

Dave

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Dave,

As you can use an external monitor that rules out any video adapter problem, which would point to something in the LCD processing, i.e. connections, or motherboard to LCD circuitry, not necessarily the LCD itself.

On a DIY basis all I can suggest is that you check that the cabling between the screen and motherboard are secure. A common failure on the LCD circuitry is the area where the cable passes through the left hand screen hinge – worth investigation possibly, although visible signs of damage are not usual. Other than that replacement cables are an option but you may be throwing good money after bad.

Ultimately, if you want to resurrect the notebook, I suggest that you consult an independent repairer for a quotation on cost of repair....

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
daverayment
Visitor

Hi,

Thanks again for the speedy response.

I noticed the cables you mention when I took the cover off earlier this evening. I pressed everything in, although nothing was noticeably loose. I'll likely take the laptop apart fully tomorrow and unplug-then-replug-in the cables just to see if that helps.

Do you (or does anyone else) know of any reputable repair companies should I need them?

Thanks for all your help.

Dave

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Best of luck with that Dave.

You could try these people – they offer a quote via email.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat