Join now - be part of our community!

Vaio FZ series cannot read newer SD HC I & SD XC I cards

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
cool.sm.
Explorer

Vaio FZ series cannot read newer SD HC I & SD XC I cards

Hi,

My VAIO - FZ series cannot read the newer SANDISK ultra 8 GB micro SDHC I and SDXC I cards. I use and adapter for reading the cards.

I looked up the user guide and it reads the folowing quote "SD memory cards with a capacity of 2 GB and  SDHC memory cards with a capacity of up to 8 GB have been tested and found compaticle with your system". 

Can you suggest a driver etc. if there is one available?

I use Win7.0.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Kind regards

sm 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi sm.

Which Vaio FZ model do you have?  I must admit that I thought the FZ-Series Vaios only supported SD Cards, but looking at the manual I see you are right.

I think the FZ-Series uses a Texas Instruments card reader and driver.  The original driver was probably written for XP and was not updated for Vista.  I doubt if there is a Windows 7 version. You could try reinstalling the original driver which is probably Ver 2.0G - 2.0.0.18

You may find an updated driver for the Texas Instruments PCIxx12 Integrated FlashMedia Controller using Google but you may do more harm than good.

Have you tried using a cheap multi-card reader that connects by USB?  This may be the simplest solution if it works.

:thinking:

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi sm.

Which Vaio FZ model do you have?  I must admit that I thought the FZ-Series Vaios only supported SD Cards, but looking at the manual I see you are right.

I think the FZ-Series uses a Texas Instruments card reader and driver.  The original driver was probably written for XP and was not updated for Vista.  I doubt if there is a Windows 7 version. You could try reinstalling the original driver which is probably Ver 2.0G - 2.0.0.18

You may find an updated driver for the Texas Instruments PCIxx12 Integrated FlashMedia Controller using Google but you may do more harm than good.

Have you tried using a cheap multi-card reader that connects by USB?  This may be the simplest solution if it works.

:thinking:

profile.country.en_GB.title
cool.sm.
Explorer

Hi Blencogo,

Thanks for your suggestion.

I use a vgn-fz21z vaio. The "Sandisk Ultra micro SDHC I" can be read using a cheap multi card reader connected via a USB port.

Is there a driver for Win7 (when I upgraded from Vista to win7, I was told that most drivers for Vista will work for Win7) or do I need to re-install it? As you point out that it might do more harm than good when updating the Texas Instruments driver!

Is there a driver on the Sony Support Driver update for Win7 to read the Sandisk Ultra micro SDHC I? 

Otherwise just use the USB connector I guess.

Kind regards,

sm