Join now - be part of our community!

vaio keeps rebooting and flashing blue screen.

pcgfr285m
Visitor

vaio keeps rebooting and flashing blue screen.

I have a vaio PCG FR 285m that was purchased a couple of years back.

One day it just flashed p with a blue screen and then shut itself down and rebooted itself. Now when ever i turn it on i get a screen come up saying windows did not load properly last time and am given the options of starting normally, in safe mode, with command promp and networking.

Which ever one of the options i choose all i get is teh windows start up screen appera and then the blue screen flashes back on and the computer reboots itself. This then just cycles like this untill i have to shut it down from the options in the bios.

Any suggestions on how to fix whatever problem i have would be greatly appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi pcgfr285m and welcome.

Unfortunately it could be any number of things that are causing this problem, but if you are unable to boot in safe mode then it is probably hardware related. I take it that the BSOD disappears too quickly to note the error code information?

The first thing that I would try to eliminate is a faulty memory module or slot. Assuming that you have not upgraded the memory you will find two 256 Mb chips in a compartment on the underside of your notebook. I suggest that you try all combinations of a single chip in each slot followed by an attempted reboot after each permutation.

Before doing this make sure that you disconnect from AC power, remove the battery and discharge static by touching metal.

If you are unfamiliar with is process have a look
here for a guide.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
pcgfr285m
Visitor

thanks for the quick reply, the blue screen does flash away to quickly for me to see anything if that is what you mean by the bmod. i have just tried swapping around teh memory chips and the same thing happens as before.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

If you haven¿t already tried this, press F8 repeatedly at boot and select 'last known good configuration' option.
If this doesn¿t work then read
this for futher advice.
By the way BSOD = Blue Screen of Death.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat