Join now - be part of our community!

Vaio Laptop keeps crashing!

MCsound2
Visitor

Vaio Laptop keeps crashing!

Hi,

Bought a Vaio Laptop (PCG-K215B) in June ish and have had problems with it! After i had first installed SP2 i had major problems with it crashing loads. The final straw was when it crashed 3 times in less than half an hour so i did a full system recovery. Now the only programs i have on it are XPhome, SP2, and Office XP.

But it does still keep crashing. Not that regularly but enough for it to be a problem. maybe once or twice a day. Sometimes it does it when i am doing loads of stuff online and have a few windows open, but sometimes it just does it when i am not doing anything, so for no apparent reason.

Anyone know anything about this?

Thanks!

30 REPLIES 30
profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

Sounds like the system is overheating, clean your fans and see if this makes difference.

I will post nick_pan's guide to laptop cooling here, but you will have to bear with me!

MCsound2
Visitor

kool thanks. does it make a difference what type of crashing it does? just in case it does, generally it has vertical lines from about half way down the screen and then restarts itself.

thanks

profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

Here is nick_pan's guide to laptop cooling buried deep inside the forum- finding it was like pulling teeth!:smileylaugh:

Guide to Laptop Cooling by nick_pan

Yes there is a difference - random unexplained lockups can be a heat flow issue, or could be caused by other factors - again if the Kee-meister was here he would point out other things I have missed.:smileydevil: :wink: :cool:

MCsound2
Visitor

do u think kee will have more ideas?
I have had a look at this overheating thing, the temp seems to sit around 59degrees when i have a few things open. I havent seen it go past 61 yet, but that said when it crashes i am not looking at the temperature readings!
I have had a lok at a couple of these laptop cooler things but is this not a problem that shoudnt happen anyway? i am using my laptop on my desk and i have made sure there is nothing blocking the vents etc..

profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

Lemme give you a guide line

59-61deg is about normal - my K115B sits at this whilst surfing ClubVAIO.
75deg and the Operating system takes over and demands the fans work harder.
90deg+ and the system will auto-shutdown to protect the motherboard.

do u think kee will have more ideas?

Definately - he is my guru!

BTW: Do you think its hardware or application related? If its application related then you will see an error message or *gulp* a blue screen of death - followed in some cases by an automatic reboot, On the other hand, have you tried removing the AC power and running it on a battery? Does the same fault reappear?

MCsound2
Visitor

it must be a pretty random step up to the 90 degree level then cos its happy most of the time then it just suddenly restarts. i dont think its application related unless there is a problem with outlook, MSN and windows media player running at the same time? but it seems unlikely as its fine most of the time, its just really random when it goes.
there has only once or twice been a blue screen, which i guess is normal occasionally with windows!

i cant recall now whether it has happened or not when running on batteries... the only other thing that has just occurred to me that i am running is wireless internet connection and Norton antivirus stuff. would that have an effect?

and where is kee the king?!?

profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

i cant recall now whether it has happened or not when running on batteries... the only other thing that has just occurred to me that i am running is wireless internet connection and Norton antivirus stuff. would that have an effect?

Eureka! You have Wireless! These cards work well but on some VAIO's they can cause the mouse to crash or the system to crash. Take out the Wireless card and see if stability improves.

Yes - where are you Kee-Lo? Kee-Lo for King of ClubVaio :smileycowboy: LOL.
Probably working on DL Productions or Keelo.info i expect.

MCsound2
Visitor

problem is i can only use wireless connection for where my desk is in my flat! so no wireless=no internet!

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Yes - where are you Kee-Lo? Kee-Lo for King of ClubVaio :smileycowboy: LOL.
Probably working on DL Productions or Keelo.info i expect.

Sorry guys I have been busy lately, not had tons of time for the Club VAIO :slight_frown:

Anyway, I would suggest trying another wireless card to see if this resolves the issue.

I remember a member had some issues and he finally got some drivers from VAIO Link, but it took 3 months for him to get them.

Nick's guide to overheating is also a good read, and his coolers are quite good too.

Not sure what else I can suggest really, James has done a sterling job so far.