Join now - be part of our community!

Vaio Laptop VGN-NR32S STARTUP PROBLEMS - CAN ANYONE PLEASE HELP

profile.country.en_GB.title
hamlet35
New

Vaio Laptop VGN-NR32S STARTUP PROBLEMS - CAN ANYONE PLEASE HELP

When I press start button the laptop tries to start, the VAIO screen comes on but I then get a black screen saying Error loading operating system.

I have tried all the Troubleshooting tips from Sony - tapping F8 gets same error message.  When I tap F10 i get:

My laptop seems to have died as it won't load Windows after switching on.  I have tried pressing F8 but that page won't load.  When I press F10 I get - Windows is loading files then a black screen whic says:-

'Edit Boot Options"

Edit Windows boot options for: Vaio Recovery Environment

Path: \windows\system32\boot\winload.exe

[ /DETECTHAL /MININT /REDIRECT RDIMAGEOFFSET=8192 RDIMAGELENGTH=3161088 R

DPATHmulti(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)sources\boot.wim

Is my laptop recoverable or is it totally dead.  Anyones' help would be much appreciated.               

]

I HAVE TRIED USING RECOVERY BACKUP DISCS AND IT SAYS - WINDOWS IS LOADING FILES WITH THE MOVNG GREY BAND UNDERNEATH BUT THEN IT JUST HANGS WITH A BLUE/GREY SCREEN AND NOTHING HAPPENS.

IT IS A WINDOWS VISTA OS.

Message was edited by: hamlet35

33 REPLIES 33
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi hamlet35.

It sounds likely that your hard drive has failed.

When you turn the Vaio on, tap F2 repeatedly when you see the Vaio logo.  This will open the BIOS Screens.  Look to see if the BIOS recognoses your hard drive or does it say 'Hard Drive not present'?

If the drive is still recognised, connect to mains power and try again using F10 during start-up and when you get to the 'Edit Boot Options' screen just press 'Enter'.  Select 'Restore Complete System' -> 'Start' -> 'Skip' -> 'Next' and follow screen instructions.

If the drive is not recognised in the BIOS, you will need to replace the drive and reinstall the Operating System from your Recovery Discs.

:thinking:

hamlet35
New

Hi Blencogo

Thanks so much for replying.  I have followed your instructions and yes the Hard Drive IS recognised in the Bios.  I then pressed F10 and pressed Enter, the window then went black and showed - (C) Microsoft Corporation at bottom of screen with the little yellow bars going across but after a short while it goes black and I can hear a quiet ticking sound from inside.  The hard disc light is on but is not flashing.

I hope I don't need to buy a new laptop as I know my expensive Creative MP3 player is no longer supported, so I cannot get drivers for later Windows OS. 

Any further ideas would be much appreeciated?

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi hamlet35.

I fear it is a broken hard drive - the BIOS recognises it is there but the system seems unable to read or write to the drive.

If you have a set of Recovery Discs, a new replacement SATA 250GB drive will cost around £45 plus fitting.

http://www.dabs.com/products/samsung-250gb-spinpoint-m8-sata-3gb-s-8mb-5400rpm-2-5--hard-drive-7LP7....

How handy are you with a screwdriver: -

http://www.insidemylaptop.com/disassemble-sony-vaio-vgn-nr-laptop/

hamlet35
New

Hi Blencogo

I have now got another error message - Windows failed to load because the HAL is missing, or corrupt.

Path \Windows\system32\hal.dll 

Is this info of any use?  It sounds as tho it might not be the hard drive.  It also says to use the system discs but I have already tried that.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi hamlet35.

It may well be corrupted boot files causing the problem.

When you turn the Vaio on, do you see a Vaio Logo Splash screen before it tries to load Windows?

If yes, try tapping F8 repeatedly as soon as you see the Vaio Logo.  This should open the advanced boot options window.

Using the up/down arrow keys, highlight "Repair My Computer" then press .  After a few options, the 'System Recovery Options' window should open.

RecoveryOptions.jpg

Select 'Startup Repair' and see if that helps.

hamlet35
New

Hi Blencogo

Yes I get the VAIO screen but when I tap F8 all I get is - Error loading operating system.  We seem stumped every time. Do you still think a new had drive will solve the problem?

hamlet35
New

Thanks a lot for your help.

hamlet35
New

Hi Blencogo

Yes I get the VAIO screen but when I tap F8 all I get is - Error loading operating system.  We seem stumped every time.

Do you still think a new had drive will solve the problem?  Does it sound impossible to repair or should I take it to a PC repair shop.  I have files and photos which I, stupidly, haven't backed up

Many thanks for your help in this

PS If anyone else in the forum has any further ideas, I would be extremely grateful.

(What would we do without such helpful people and forums .  I belong to a spinal health forum which has helped me with my back problems.)

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi hamlet35,

The only other thing to try is to boot from a Vista Installation disc and try to do a 'Repair' installation.  If you cannot borrow a disc, it may be best to ask a repairer to do it for you.

However, because other things do not work, you may have to face the prospect of having to replace the hard drive.

Depending on how important the data is on your old drive, you will have 2 options: -

1.  Buy a cheap external hard drive Caddy which connects to a working PC by USB.  You may be lucky and be able to access your data from the old hard drive. 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/IOMAX-External-Enclosure-Laptop-Powered/dp/B001EEQQ8Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid...

2.  If the data is very important, you can pay a data recovery company to try to retrieve your data.  This is an expensive option.

Try, or get someone to try a 'Repair' installation first - it may be successful.

Good Luck.