Join now - be part of our community!

Vaio logo does not appear/ Boot issue - VGN FW31E

THEGMONKEY
Visitor

Vaio logo does not appear/ Boot issue - VGN FW31E

When I press the on button, I get nothing apart from a 1 second hard drive light followed by the sound of a fan, there is no screen activity

there is no vaio logo and the caps, num lock buttons all don't light up. It seems like a boot problem.

I have tried a hard kill i.e taking the battery out and holding the power button but no result. I tried installing Ubuntu from a disc but no activity, you can hear the disc spinning and accessing but after 30 secs no more noise.

I tired windows 7 upgrade and the recovery disk i made when i bought the vaio - no changed. No I am stuck.

Please advise

Environment VGN FW31E and Windows 7 home Premium upgrade

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi,

If your Vaio will not POST then the two most likely causes are faulty RAM or a motherboard/CMOS chip fault.

Try taking out both memory sticks and relpace one stick at a time and try to boot. If one of your memory modules is faulty, it should boot with just the other one.

If this does not work then it is likely that you have motherboard problems and may need a repair. From your joining date it seems that you may be outside the warranty period and perhaps you should have a word with Sony's Service Partner nearest to you.

Are you in the UK?

http://support.vaio.sony.eu/computing/vaio/contacts/asc.aspx?l=en_GB&m=VGN-FW31E

:slight_frown:

i have sony vaio vgn-p530h that has a similar problems... i dont have anything on screen only black screen, but the led on the power button it is turn on. i try to reset it but didnt know how, try to open the cover but i still can't open the cover. please help me find any solution for this thing... thx b4.