Join now - be part of our community!

Vaio M1 to TV Screen

Moore
Visitor

Vaio M1 to TV Screen

Because the screen on the M1 isnt huge, i was wondering if, when playing DVDs or TV, it was possible to link the M1 to a TV so you could watch what was playing on the Vaio M1 on the TV screen? What would i need and where can i get it? Any help would be much appreciated.

20 REPLIES 20
Stephanius
Visitor

Hi Mike,

welcome to club vaio!

First off, its important to know that the MR100 can function only in infrastructure mode, so an access point is required.

I assume that you already have your Vaio notebook connected to the airport express base station, which is your access point, so that should be fine.

The network media receiver connects to the access point just like another notebook would. To do so you need to configure the network media receivers network.

You need to set it to Wireless Lan instead of the default wired lan.

Next you should check the configuration of your notebooks wireless lan card to find out if you are using DHCP or if you have manually set IP addresses.
To do so, go to start, control panel, network connections, wireless network connection, rightclick it, select properties, click 'Internet Protocol TCP/IP', click properties.
IF 'optain IP address automatically' is active, you are using your access point as DHCP server. In this case you have to select 'automatic IP address - using router' in the IP configuration of your network media receiver.
IF you see an IP address listed there, put the same address and subnet mask (next field) in there, but make sure you do change the last number, to a higher number - it needs to be different in that last quarter from the IP addresses used by all your networked devices, vaio, airport, mac? etc.

Next you need to configure the wireless lan of the network media receiver. Look at the configuration of your router to find out what for an SSID - network name - encryption type and encryption key you are using. I used WEP 128bit and had no problems at all, but could not connect without encryption.

When you are done with the above, you should be able to ping your network media receiver from the Vaio. This is a quick and easy test. Go to start, run, type cmd, hit enter, type 'ping 10.0.0.3' replacing the address with the one you picked for the network media receiver and hit enter. If you get responses timed out, it is not ok and you need to check the settings above, otherwise it is ok.

If you have already installed the Vaio media update you should have a request from the network media receiver in the Vaio Media Console - provided that you have:
- the servers started (first tab vaio media console)
- the servers allow access over the net (2nd tab)
- your firewall allows vaio media to communicate. (windows firewall automatically recognizes Vaio Media as valid exception, for others you will have to do it yourself. For testing purposes just disable it. The windows exceptions are an excellent source for the port information should you be using a 3rd party firewall)

Then you can click the device that is listed as waiting for authorisation in the 2nd tab of the vaio media console and click allow. Thats it.