Join now - be part of our community!

Vaio model PCG-7M1M

profile.country.en_IE.title
taffy57
Visitor

Vaio model PCG-7M1M

Hi, newbee here have joined your forum. I have just been given a Sony Vaio laptop. The model no: PCG-7M1M

I am trying to find out information for it, but the model no: does not come up. I would like to know as much as I can about it. This is my first laptop. Is there a owners manual for it that I can download? I would also like to know how I can change the memory card and upgrade the hard drive. Plus any usefull points would be very

welcome. Thanks taffy57.

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi taffy57 and welcome.

You can't find any more information because you are using the chassis model which can be shared between several Vaio Models. It is not a valid Vaio model.

Have a look for another model number. Look on the screen surrround or just above the keyboard - it will be something like VGN-FS515x, where x=B,E or H depending on the exact model.

When you have the correct model, you can download the User Guide from the Vaio Support website. The support pages for the VGN-FS515H can be found here: -

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/VGN-FS515H

You can increase the RAM to 2048MB (2 x 1024MB) and upgrade the PATA IDE Hard Drive as long as you use a drive formatted with 512 Byte sectors.

The User Guide will be the same as that for the FS515H - the guide is the same for all FS models.

ftp://ftp.vaio-link.com/pub/manuals/Notebooks/FS5/FS5_H_EN.pdf

Come back if you want to ask any questions about your Vaio.

:slight_smile:

profile.country.en_IE.title
taffy57
Visitor

Blencogo wrote:

Hi taffy57 and welcome.

You can't find any more information because you are using the chassis model which can be shared between several Vaio Models. It is not a valid Vaio model.

Have a look for another model number. Look on the screen surrround or just above the keyboard - it will be something like VGN-FS515x, where x=B,E or H depending on the exact model.

When you have the correct model, you can download the User Guide from the Vaio Support website. The support pages for the VGN-FS515H can be found here: -

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/VGN-FS515H

You can increase the RAM to 2048MB (2 x 1024MB) and upgrade the PATA IDE Hard Drive as long as you use a drive formatted with 512 Byte sectors.

The User Guide will be the same as that for the FS515H - the guide is the same for all FS models.

ftp://ftp.vaio-link.com/pub/manuals/Notebooks/FS5/FS5_H_EN.pdf

Come back if you want to ask any questions about your Vaio.

Hi Blencogo, Thank you for your reply. I have found my model no: VGN-FS515B. Would my Vaio be a better pc with bigger RAM and could I put a 250GB hard drive? What is the approx cost to get these items. Where do you live? I live in Dublin Ireland. Hope to hear from you soon. Thanks taffy57.

profile.country.GB.title
t0mcahill
New

I haven't used mine for years.  Now its asking for me to insert a CD for XP, SP3.

I've tried two XP CDs from ages ago,  but it won't progress the repair or set up

What's the best way to get round this?

I'm open to using a Linux alternative,  I have Vista here,  W2000,  and maybe other things,  but I need to get it to boot from the CD.

Is there a way of making it reset itself?  Some people say taking the internal battery out.