Join now - be part of our community!

VAIO Multi Flip - Touch Screen Freezing - Win 8.1

sgdavies

VAIO Multi Flip - Touch Screen Freezing - Win 8.1

VAIO Multiflip 14 - SVF14N1C5E - Touch Screen Freezing - Win 8.1

Has anybody else experienced problems with the touchscreen freezing on the 14 inch model? I upgraded to Windows 8.1 as soon as I got it (God Knows why Sony decided to ship it with Windows 8.0)

Contacted Sony ("cough" support) but they are as helpful as a chocolate teapot regarding this.

51 REPLIES 51
Nepster1
Explorer

I m having the same issue model SVF14N1C5E this is annoying!! i already changed the laptop once this one was good but i m probably gonna have to send it back once again

Nepster1
Explorer

I did exactly the same thing!!  i unistalled the driver installed it againg but no luck then i restored the laptop to factory settings ran the calibration tool and updated again to 8.1 but no luck again!!! the calibration tool log file says exactly the same things!!!

sgdavies

Hi Nepster, you could send it back 100 times, its not going to fix it, because this is a software problem, my best guess 1000's of us have the exact same problem, the us forums are going crazy with this issue, our Sony support is worse than trash, unless we can convince Sony their drivers, and Firmware are trash, and need updating for windows 8.1, then we got no chance, and our laptops in tablet mode are useless to us, no wonder Sony are selling up, their reputation has gone the toilet for PC,s and their support cannot be bothered because they know they will be out of a job soon enough, and back to sheep herding for them. I just hope they are better at that that at tech support or they will all starve.
profile.country.BG.title
julianls
Explorer

Hi all. Let me tell my story. Sorry for my english but is not my native language. I'm from Bulgaria and i have waited almoust 2 monts to get my Sony Vaio Flip 15 - SVF15N1S2ES. This machine costed about 1793.97 USD here and it was the only one 15 " unit in local Sony Center (and in Bulgaria also). For example normal montly sellery in Bulgaria is 350 USD. I love the machine i have wathced videos for 2 montsh and get excited. This machine was so cool i can do some coding for fun using Visual Studio, record some of my guitar riffs and play some Angry Birds with my kid during the weekedns. So you can imagine my disapointment when this touchscreen problems apeared.

Support tried to help me but i have to dig my self to find complete solution. I will share steps that i have made to resolve this problem.

1. On Windows 8.0 i have installed all updates from Vaio Update util (BIOS update also)

2. Updated to Windows 8.1 than applied BIOS update and drivers manual fom support site

3. Updated to Windows 8.1 Pro because i needed for Windows Phone developement

4. Applied calibration tool from support (fixed problem for some time)

5. Disabled all USB devices and Human Interface devices power saver options

My machine configuration info - http://youtu.be/OEWPhyp-O9Y

I have no problems since last fix. I keep machine on for whole day and watch some videos and listen music.

Try touch for time to time and it is working. Please mark as solution when you test my soutiion, because first time when i get to this forum i saw that is solved but marked solution was not wat i expected.

Good  luck

Julian

sgdavies

Hi julianls,

No this is not a solution sorry, certainly not for me anyway. (However I am not going to upgrade to 8.1 Pro) so cannot follow it entirely.

For me the Calibration tool produced an error (see earlier post for this)

Why on earth would I want to disable all HID and USB? I might as well buy a IPAD!

So sorry definetly NOT a solution.

profile.country.BG.title
julianls
Explorer

Hi sgdavies,
You do not need Windows 8.1 Pro, I just have shared all my steps. I think all this is stupid software integration problem and I do not want to return my machine for that. The important part from my point is to disable certain USB power saver options not USB's and HID's itself.
I agree that this should not be done by costumers anyway, but I love my machine and I hope can help some people in my situation.
Lyndsey.Graham
Explorer

I recieved my vaio multi-flip 14 yesterday with windows 8.1 pre installed and seem to have the same problem. The touch screen works fine the rest of the time (in all different flip modes) and then suddenly is entirley unresponsive. I have found that if I hibernete sleep or restart the screen works again, also it was charging when it happened once and unplugging the charger fixed it too, which is odd.

I have checked that all available updates are installed (including the driver updates) and have tried reinstalling the touchscreen driver with no luck.

I have very little computer knowledge though so i'm worried to try anything else to fix it.

Lyndsey.Graham
Explorer

fyi my model is SVF14N2C5E

sgdavies

Hiya, I noticed there is a new BIOS available, I am going to try that to see if it fixes the problem, else, I will wait for MS Windows 8.1 update 1, being released in April to see how this works with the problem.

sgdavies

Bios Update - R0260DD

Just thought I would update this thread, I installed the latest BIOS "Bios Update - R0260DD", Well it hasnt cured the problem, but what I experienced last night on testing it, "its not as bad", normally it would freeze in tablet mode after about 15 minutes consistantly, but It went on for about 45 minutes last night before it froze, I will now wait until MS 8.1 update 1, in April, to see what happens next, I give up long ago speaking with Sony Support, they were a real let down, no words here can say how bad they were.

Will update this thread next after installation of MS 8.1 update 1.

Rgs

Stephen.