Join now - be part of our community!

VAIO Multi Flip - Touch Screen Freezing - Win 8.1

sgdavies

VAIO Multi Flip - Touch Screen Freezing - Win 8.1

VAIO Multiflip 14 - SVF14N1C5E - Touch Screen Freezing - Win 8.1

Has anybody else experienced problems with the touchscreen freezing on the 14 inch model? I upgraded to Windows 8.1 as soon as I got it (God Knows why Sony decided to ship it with Windows 8.0)

Contacted Sony ("cough" support) but they are as helpful as a chocolate teapot regarding this.

51 REPLIES 51
Darrensplace
Explorer

Same Laptop Same problem, I have been working with sony support to try to fix it. I have been through recalibration twice now and even a reset to factory settings and reformat and still same problem. In the UK the number I am calling is 08702402408 i guess if we all call and report this they will have to eventually get a fix for us.

sgdavies

Hi there, I installed Windows 8.1 Spring update, it has helped a bit, but has not completly cured the problem, at the moment we try not to use it too much in Tablet mode because of this. To be honest I have given up speaking with Sony support, because they were unhelpful in the matter, Sony will not be making any more Laptops / Tablets, lucily for them as I would never buy from them again anyway. The same goes for their other product lines, the experience with them has put me off them as a company, because of their hopeless support.

Hi, I'm having this problem too. Also installed all Windows 8.1 updates. The mouse works properly, but the touchscreen freezes quite soon after using it.

I'm having a multi flip 15 inch.

sgdavies

There is a new BIOS update :-

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/content/cnt-dwnl/SVF14N1C5E/list#os2

Not sure how much help its going to be, but I will try it out tonight and report back ..... watch this space but I do not hold too much hope :wink: ..............

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

@sgdavies  Welcome back :wink:

Keep us posted.

sgdavies

Update - 21 May 2014 - After Instatation of :- BIOS Update - R0270DD

Okay Last night I had time to play and test the Vaio Multiflip, using it in tablet mode, going from the modern interface to the traditional, running the modern apps, facebook, etc, after doing this for maybe 2 hours, not one crash ( Screen Freeze) occured. could it be a blip? or has this BIOS update finally nailed the problem...

I am am airing on the caucious side, because of past experience.

Please note also, I have Windows 8.1 Spring update installed also, and have updated everything else I could, of course the Vaio updater program like everone else is still malfunctioning.

I will carry on testing over this week and weekend, and report back. if all is ok, I "Might" accept this as a solution."If Sony is lucky"!!!........ and they agree to apologise profusly for me not being able to use my Vaio as intented for the past 8 months! :angry:

Lyndsey.Graham
Explorer

Just thought i'd update on how i got on with this problem.

After several updates and reconfigurations over the telephone sony finally allowed me to send it off for repairs. After 3 weeks i recieved a call saying they could not replace the part (so i assume the problem was hardware) and they would refund me. So now right in the middle on my MSc thesis writeup I have no laptop and no similar specs available within my pricerange anymore from other manufacturers. 

This is the 2nd time they have refunded me due to part unavailabiluty (the first during initial construction after placing my order without consulting with me first) I then had to reoder at a later date which cost me £50 more than I had paid. 

The same model I purchases is however still available to purchase online (custom build) costing £400 more than i paid for my model 4 months ago! If they can still offer a custom build of this model then why can't they replace my part or offer to replace my laptop! I'm so furious!

So for anyone still having this issue if you really like your multiflip i'd probably risk trying to repair it yourselves or you may never see it again and be left without a laptop.

To anyone thinking of buying this product i wold not reccomend, save your time and money.

sgdavies

Hi Lyndsey,

Shocking! and they are selling the same model! could be they are selling the same build with the "duff" part? or the repair house cannot get the parts, either way its really bad customer service.

Well I have an update, I did think initially that the laptop was working better, but yesterday, the laptop Frooze in quick secsession , and the only way around was to reboot, like before the trackpad and keyboard still worked. to be honest we have given up pretty much on using this now as a tablet, because its not fit to be called that!

Its laptop that, sometimes has touch screen, so we just use it as laptop, and ocationally touch the screen. I wouldnt trust the Sony repair team or support, so will cut my losses here, and just never buy a Sony product again(even though I think they are really beautiful laptops, and products).

Come release of "Intel Broadwell", if MS release a Surface Pro 4, with Broadwell, and If MS realease a decent verson of Windows, with the start button back, I will go for that, or a Dell.

Lyndsey.Graham
Explorer

After phoning them it turns out the model is actually no longer available atall, they just hadn't updated the website at that time.

After another 4 weeks i have managed to get them to replace my laptop with a different model (I now have the SV14N!C5E) the only difference being it was windows 8 and after upgrading to 8.1 has come with its own touchscreen issues despite being a refurbished model! It's a never ending nightmare.

My newest problem involves the touchscreen randomly thinking it is being touched and randomly zooming or scrolling or clicking! Using my finger does not allow me to close apps or perform any of the other functions at the edge of the screen. Using a stylus seems to work okay though. I'm going to try recalibrating the touch screen today but i doubt this will fix the issue.

I'd encourage you to keep at them for a replacement but that may be broken too!

Also never buying from Sony again.

RyanTirrell
Explorer

Hi Lyndsey, 

I originally had the same problem you're now facing - The touchscreen having a mind of it's own. 

I know that particular problem renders your laptop practically unusable. 

However, the re-calibration tool is designed to fix that particluar fault and in all fairness, it does a great job of doing just that. Please try it (I think it I saw a link to it further back in this discussion).

The problem I now have, is the touchscreen becoming unresponsive after a short while of using it. 

I'll be honest, it doesn't happen all the time. Mainly when I'm using the laptop online; certain websites, youtube for example, makes it unresponsive after a very short time, whereas information (text) only web pages don't seem to affect the touchscreen at all.

Offline, I don't tend to see any problems 9 times out of 10. 

If it helps, I know a quicker way to reactivate your touchscreen if it goes off: 

Open > Control Panel > Under 'Hardware and Sound' > Select 'Devices and Printers' > Right Click on 'Vaio' (or your PC name) > Select 'Properties' > A new window pops up > Select the 'Hardware' Tab > Scroll through the list to find 'HID-compliant touchscreen' > Double click 'HID-compliant touchscreen' > a new window pops up > Select 'Change Settings' button > a new window pops up >Select 'Driver' tab > Click 'Disable' (a screen may appear, just select yes) > Now click 'Enable' > Your touch screen will be working again. 

This seems like a long winded process but it literally takes me 20 seconds (If that), I promise! 

I tend to leave the final screen open while I'm using my laptop, that way as soon as the touch screen goes off, I just have to click 'disable' and then 'enable' and it works again!

Good Luck!

Ryan