Join now - be part of our community!

Vaio S model overheating/fan noise - will a SSD drive descrease the heat/fan noise?

profile.country.nl_BE.title
jb1060
Visitor

Vaio S model overheating/fan noise - will a SSD drive descrease the heat/fan noise?

Hello all,

I hope you can help me  out,

I am about to customise my laptop, and I read in one message thread that there have been issues with the new SA model to overheat and producing a noise from the fan. I have therefore looked into configurate the model with the SSD drive instead of the HD drive

I know that the SSD drive is more expensive (and that they have less storage space) and that the main advantage is faster performance and more resistance. I read somewhere that another advantage is lower energy consumption.

Does that mean that the SSD drive produces less heat and therefore eventually will be less noisy or are those things not related?

I would as well like to hear what your experiences have been with having a SSD drive in your vaio (in particular the model SA if any of you have configurated your model with SSD)

Thanks in advance for helping me out :slight_smile:

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.de_BE.title
stephanius
Visitor

Hello jb1060,

the components that keep the cooling system busy are primarily the processor and the graphics chip.

A hard disk drive (HDD) or solid state disc (SSD) are typcially not equipped with any cooling system. A mechanical hard disc drive will always have some normal operating noise, which wont be present for an SSD, since it has no moving parts.Current retail SSDs (3rd generation) actually have a slightly higher power consumption than some mechanical hard drives, but that is irrelevant with regards to cooling and overall power consumption.

The advantages of an SSD are no seek time (there are no read/write heads to move to the right position) and no moving parts (no damage by hard disc operation in motion possible).

I hope the above helps. =]

profile.country.nl_BE.title
jb1060
Visitor

Hi Stephanius,

Yes, thank you very much for the good answer :slight_smile:

PS! I anyway have ordered the SA model with a traditional HDD - then I'll see if I can upgrade it to a SSD later on 

profile.country.en_GB.title
ripat86
Visitor

From what i gathered when I had my SA Series Vaio, people with SSD's also had the issue. The HD make little noise themselves so you wouldn't notice any difference apart from speeds obviously

The heat issue is more down to the processor than anything else and Sony claim the heat produced is whats expected

I would advise that you will experience lots of fan noise with the SA regardless of what your doing as when I had my Vaio, when it was idle and sitting on my desk doing nothing, its fans would be on continually.

Sony provided me a guide on how to reduce the fan noise but it did nothing to help the issue and just affected performance.

Strangely, when I had a SB vaio, its fans weren't as loud and I've not read any users complain of the SB so maybe you should consider that instead if you can compromise on the screen

If you are easily annoyed with something like fan noise and it getting very hot, just keep well away from this Vaio as they is nothing that you can really do.

Message was edited by: ripat86

Message was edited by: ripat86