Join now - be part of our community!

VAIO System Recovery - PCV-RS402

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
RichVince
Visitor

VAIO System Recovery - PCV-RS402

After regular backups on an external Seagate drive it failed and as still under warranty and was returned to Seagate who provided a replacement GoFlex Desk drive. Initial backups would not complete on this drive, hanging after around 42% complete. In frustration replaced the provided trial software by free Comodo backup.

On initial attempt to backup a problem was encountered automatically shutting the PC down (DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL) and horror of horrors, on attempting to boot up: DOS message "Error Loading Operating System".

Tried booting up in safe mode, options to use VAIO Recovery CD or MY Passport - which I had taken the precaution of backing up prior to sending off Seagate drive. However, as latter connected by USB appears not recognised before booting! I am not 100% confident data is backed up on this correctly anyway.

Various warnings when using the VAIO System Recovery Utility indicating data will be lost (is this right as on hard disk) and that "it cannot just restore Windows" (which is what I want!).

Thus reluctant to continue for fear of loosing all data. Can anybody confirm this would be the case (is the drive reformatted/overwritten?) or will the data still be available?

Message was edited by: RichVince

Message was edited by: RichVince

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi RichVince and welcome.

The Vaio Recovery and Documentation Disc provided with your Vaio will only allow a system recovery back to factory settings and will involve a format of the drive which will erase ALL programs and data.  There may be a Troubleshooting and Recovery Manual on the disc which will explain more fully.  This does not sound like the solution for you if you have data you need to recover.

I would try to borrow a XP Pro installation disc from someone and carry out a Repair installation.  You will not need a Product Key so you can use any XP Pro installation disc.

Do you have everything in Drive C:\ or do you have another partition like D:\ to hold data.

Just a thought - it may be worth checking that the drive letters have not been accidentally changed!

:thinking:

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi RichVince and welcome.

The Vaio Recovery and Documentation Disc provided with your Vaio will only allow a system recovery back to factory settings and will involve a format of the drive which will erase ALL programs and data.  There may be a Troubleshooting and Recovery Manual on the disc which will explain more fully.  This does not sound like the solution for you if you have data you need to recover.

I would try to borrow a XP Pro installation disc from someone and carry out a Repair installation.  You will not need a Product Key so you can use any XP Pro installation disc.

Do you have everything in Drive C:\ or do you have another partition like D:\ to hold data.

Just a thought - it may be worth checking that the drive letters have not been accidentally changed!

:thinking:

RichVince
Visitor

Many thanks Blencogo for such a helpful and incredibly prompt reply.

Yes the disc is partioned, photographs being saved on disc D.

I did wonder about using another XP CD - believe I have some, although not Pro (I need to check).

Thanks again, much appreciated.

RichVince
Visitor

PS for Blencogo, if it is a case of Drive letters accidentally swapping over (no idea how) do I need a DOS command to check - rusty on DOS now (CD: D or something?). All that appears in DOS (I assume) is "Error Loading Operating System".

Thanks again.