Join now - be part of our community!

Vaio update not updating

profile.country.en_GB.title
jugaugh
Visitor

Vaio update not updating

I am using Vaio Update version 5.4.1.04200. Upon checking for updates it come up with the following message...

A new version of VAIO Update is available. VAIO Update cannot be used unless it is updated. Update now?

I click yes, then the icon in the system tray shows it is downloading the update but then after around 1 minute it stops and nothing happens. So, until this is fixed i cannot use VAIO Update.

Any solutions or a direct download link to download the latest version?

If it makes difference my model number is VGN-AW41MF

Thanks.

95 REPLIES 95
profile.country.GB.title
ApostolovMMA
New

Hello everybody,

I finally managed to solve the issue.

I have mentioned this in another discussion but i will post it again here for you guys. Its been a while now since this happened and as it seems theres no fix for it except the one i have found. Try these steps and you should be able to update your VAIO UPDATE and afterwards your VAIO CARE should be able to be updated as well.

Here is what you need to do:

1. Turn off any Internet connections

2. Start Vaio Update. You will get an error message saying that there is no Internet connection available so dismiss it

3. Now Vaio Update will open

4. Click on "Check for Updates" button on the top. Dismiss again the same message

5. Now click on the small clock button on top right (Installation History). It will bring up a screen with all updates attempts.

6. In the list you will see (presumably) your error: something with an error code, etc.

7. What is important is to click on the link provided under the Program tab. It will open the link from which you can get the version needed.

Good luck! Let me know if it worked for you as well.

Rgds,

Apostolov

UPDATE: Vaio Care wont update itself through Vaio Update after you do all the steps.
You would need to try and update Vaio Care and IF it fails to do so you need to go to Vaio Care again and do step 5 do step 7 again. Find the version you need from somewhere (google it or do as me i used SONYs Middle East and Africa web site to download the softwere i needed ( http://www.sony-mea.com/section/support )) and install it.

Hope this helps. It fixed it for me.

Rgds,
Apostolov

miked10270
Explorer

I've had the same problem for several days. 

I'm no computer expert, and it may be co-incidence, but what worked for me on my 2 Vaios was to quit Skype!  After that I got the download in a few minutes, and update installed in less that 10 minutes.

Hope this helps for others.  Let us know if it does.

Tscheuss,

Mike.

profile.country.fi_FI.title
Juge93
Visitor

Thank you guys!     

I was having this must-update-to-newer-version- problem on my vaio(VPCEH3P1E) after re-installing windows 7. I installed VAIO Update ver. 5.5.2.11060 from Sony-website and somehow updating to newest version 6.1.1.10250 worked for me!

Well, i did uninstall skype on same day earlier the VAIO update got fixed. Anyway I was having this problem before Windows update installed skype on my computer.

Greetings from finland,

Jussi    

heblack92
Visitor

I have model VPCSA2C5E:

I am having exactly the same problem. Sony needs to fix the problem

profile.country.hr_HR.title
SonOfOsiris
New

Same here, bought yesterday Sony Vaio SVE1511JEW Windows 7 SP1, same problem unable to download updates, jeeeez

toolbox.solutions
Visitor

Same problem here.. simple solution .. add VAIO Update to allowed programs list in (windows) firewall and temporarily disable any virus package while update starts. As soon as update starts can enable virus package again.

ianx43
Visitor

Hi Folks

I had the same issue with the VAIO CARE update on a new SVE1511A1EB. As soon as I ran MCPR.exe to fully remove McAfee, and also disabled Norton, the update installed correctly.

Hope this helps.

Ian

Robert.Lee.Jones
Visitor

This is an update to my last reply on 25 November 2011.  Since this time, I have given up trying; however, I occasionally return to the blog to see if anyone has had any success.  Based on some of the latest blogs, I decided to uninstall the latest version of Vaio Update (that Vaio previously allowed me to update to, i.e., Version 5.1.1.08120) and reinstall the original factory installed version (Version 5.0.0.10300) that was listed on Sony's web site for my computer model number (VPCW217AG), which installed successfully.  However, when I asked it to check for updates, there were no updates listed.

I then decided to do what I did before as suggested by one of the previous bloggers, which is to reinstall the pre-installed program using VAIO Care as follows:  1) Uninstall the latest version of Vaio Update via the Windows Control Panel.  2) >Start; >All programs; >VAIO Care  3) From VAIO Care menu select "Recovery & Restore"  4) Select "Recovery"  5)  Select "Reinstall Programs and Drivers"  6) Click "Next" and put check marks next to the components of the application you want to reinstall (in this case, Vaio Update)  7) Click "Next" and follow the on-screen instructions to reinstall the program.

The same version of Vaio Update was installed as above (Version 5.0.0.10300).  However, this time, There were three updates listed, the latest Vaio Care Update (Version 6.4.2.11150), the latest Vaio Gate Update (Version 2.4.2.02200), and the latest Vaio Entertainment Platform Library Updater (Version 1.0.2.08150).  The first two updated successfully; the third did not update successfully.  In fact, it gave me the same error message that I previously continually received with unsuccessful updates with Vaio Update ("Installation cannot be continued.  Check system settings such as Anti-Virus software settings, and run the installer again.").

So this is where I am now.  I will wait and see what happens.  I am far better off now than before as I have a couple of successful updates and I have a "working" Vaio Update, both of which I did not have before.  However, there are three issues that are different than before.  1)  I was able to receive Vaio updates using my original version of Vaio Update.  2) The well known "Installation cannot be continued" message is not linked only to Vaio Update but also to Vaio Entertainment Platform Library Updater.  3) Vaio Update was not listed by Vaio Update as an "Available Update," which may or may not be a good sign.

Note that since my last blog, I uninstalled McAffee and turned off MS Defender.  I now use Webroot SecureAnywhere as my anti-virus and spyware software, which I did not turn off during the above process.  However, there is really no indication that this is the problem.  I am passing this "experience" on in hopes that the above may or could be useful to someone.

profile.country.hr_HR.title
SonOfOsiris
New

Problem solved very easy, remove or disable any antivirus program that came with your Vaio, I have removed my McAfee antivirus when my subscription expired, I've updated Vaio care, Vaio Gate everything so far, the computer runs smoothly now, it is much faster, I think that Sony support team must be more efiicient in this matter, it isn't a big problem but it is very annoying, peace

simwood7
Visitor

I get the same update problem. I've tried pretty much everything here. I'm just wondering maybe its because my model isn't supported anymore. I'm using a VGN-CR21S