Join now - be part of our community!

VAIO updates require XP service pack 2?

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
AndySPX
Visitor

VAIO updates require XP service pack 2?

When I downloaded service pack 2 from Microsoft I was told that Iwas on a newer version and didn't need it. Whatshould I do? Still haven't downloaded VAIO updates.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi AndySPX,

Your model should have SOAHSC-01015500-EU.exe installed.

I would download VAIO Update 5.1.1.04090 and install it as above.  Let's see what VU5 says you need to update!!

:wink:

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

If you go to Control Panel -> System, what ServicePack does it say is installed where it says 'System'?

What Model Vaio do you have?

Modelname.png

What Vaio Updates are you trying to download?

AndySPX
Visitor

Blencogo,

VAIO model is PCG-7A1M

Software details:

Windows XP

Home edition

Version 2

Service pack 3

Not at home at the mo, will check on update info later.

Cheers

AndySPX

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi AndySPX,

Your copy of XP is on the latest version SP3 so SP2 will not install.

Let me know what updates you are trying to install.  Please also let me know the Vaio Model - you are quoting the chassis style which applies to several Vaio Models.  It is something like VGN-FSxxxx

VAIO Model.png

:thinking:

AndySPX
Visitor

Hi Blencogo,

The updates are as follows:

SOAHSC-01015900-EU.exe

SOAHSC-01015800-EU.exe

SOAHSC-01015700-EU.exe

SOAHSC-01015600-EU.exe

SOAHSC-01015500-EU.exe

They've all got light blue circles with a question mark in them which apparently means unknown updates downloaded and ready to install. I haven't got a clue where they came from.

Have looked at all the labels stuck to the laptop and checked in Control Panel->System but all that came up with is what you say 'VGN-FS Series'.

I have the serial number 28198350 / 5300533 if that's any use.

Thanks very much for your efforts.

Cheers

AndySPX

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Those are all updates to the 'VAIO Help and Support Centre' and I don't think any of them are applicable to your model.  Unfortunately, we do not know your exact model but I think the latest available valid update to the Vaio Help & Support Centre is SOAHSC-01015300-EU.exe.

I think I would just ignore these as I don't think they are applicable to your model running XP.

However, can you look for your model type again?  Look in Control Panel -> Vaio Control Centre and see if your model is listed there.

What version of Vaio Update do you have installed? It should be Vaio Update 5 and you can manually download and install Vaio Update 5.1.1.04090 from the Updates Page for one of the FS-Series Vaios here: -

http://support.vaio.sony.eu/computing/vaio/downloads/updates/index.aspx?l=en_GB&m=VGN-FS295XP

Before installing VU5, check what you have installed in Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs.  Manually uninstall any version of VU3/VU2/VU1 before trying to install VU5.

If you have VAIO Update 4 or 5 installed, you can just follow below procedure to install the updated version.

1. Exit all running programs.
2. Download this update and save it to your hard drive.
3. When the download is completed, locate the downloaded file in the location you specified.
4. Double-click EP0000221850.exe to run it.
5. Wait while the wizard updates your software.
6. When the installation is complete, restart the VAIO if asked.

AndySPX
Visitor

Hi Blencogo,

The model number is VGN-FS215M

OS version is 5.1.2600 service pack 3

Can't see any 'VU' listings in Control Panel-->Add/Remove Programs.

There is one their called VAIO Media 4.0?

Hope that helps.

Cheers

AndySPX

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi AndySPX,

Your model should have SOAHSC-01015500-EU.exe installed.

I would download VAIO Update 5.1.1.04090 and install it as above.  Let's see what VU5 says you need to update!!

AndySPX
Visitor

Blencogo,

You've sorted it. I downloaded VU5 as suggested and after restarting I don't get the 'updates' icon any more.

Thanks for all your help.

I'm sure we may well meet up again some time in the future.

Cheers

AndySPX