Join now - be part of our community!

Vaio Updates

mejabstoo
Visitor

Vaio Updates

About a week ago my VGN-FE41Z did a download from the Sony updates site and when it rebooted after the installation of the updates it came up with "Test Mode" in each corner of the screen and "Microsoft (R) Windows (R) Build 6000" in the top centre.
Has anyone else had this happen and how do I get rid of this annoyance. I know there is a "Safe Mode" but have never heard of "Test Mode". Are MS experimenting???

10 REPLIES 10
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi mejabstoo,

what updates have you installed.?

Does a system restore to a point before you installed the updates help.?

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

I think there is a 'Test Mode' in Vista to allow developers to test unsigned drivers. You can turn it off thus: -

[windows key] -> type cmd -> press CTRL+SHIFT + ENTER (to enter an elevated command prompt)
-> type bcdedit.exe /set testsigning off
then press ENTER > Restart your machine.

However, I suspect that this may something to do with having a beta version of SP1 installed which has now become time expired. Did you install the RC version of SP1?

To check go to Control Panel -> System and Maintenance -> System and see if there is a version number against SP1. If there is, you have a beta version installed and you will need to uninstall this and install the final release version.

:wink:

mejabstoo
Visitor

Thank you for your interest and comments. I have not yet tried anything you suggest. When I look in Control Panel and System it does not indicate that SP1 is installed. I did go to a download site for SP1 but as my machine downloads automatically it said that it had been done???

mejabstoo
Visitor

Hello Thalamus,

There are many updates installed as I allow the machine to do it automatically. Latest Vaio Update Version is 3.0.0.11250.

I have done a restore to a date well before this wording appeared on the screen but it does not remove any of it.

mejabstoo

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi mejabstoo,

could you please provide a image of your system info, similar to the image below..

Note if you wish you can erase your product ID number before uploading your image..

Did Blencogo's instructions above turn off the "Test Mode" watermark.?

mejabstoo
Visitor

Hello again Thalamus,

Blencogo's instructions did not work. I was denied access to the part of the disk where that instruction could be executed.

I do not know how to send you a copy of my system info as there is no way will it allow me to copy the page but nowhere on the page does it mention SP1.

I have a genuine copy of Vista on my desktop which I installed a couple of weeks ago and that does say that SP1 is installed.

I have tried installing SP1 from that setup disk as used on my desktop but the laptop tells me that it is "up to date".

mejabstoo

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

I do not know how to send you a copy of my system info as there is no way will it allow me to copy the page but nowhere on the page does it mention SP1.

Hi mejabstoo,

how to post an image..

Go to Start, all programs

Browse to Accessories and click on Snipping Tool.

Once the snipping tool has opened drag the + over the image you wish to capture.

Once happy with the image click on Save and select the destination folder you wish to save your image in, then click save.

In the Club Vaio forum type your reply in the thread and then click the box next to I would like to attach a file.

Click on reply to post and then in the next window click on the browse button and navigate to the file you wish to attach..

Click once on the file you wish to attach and click the attach file button.

mejabstoo
Visitor

Hi Thalamus, thanks for that info.

Details of system should be attached.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi mejabstoo,

try a similar solution to Blencogo's above..

1. Click Start, then All programs and finally Accessories..

2. Right click on Command prompt and click Run as administrator.

3. Type bcdedit /set testsigning off and press Enter.

4. Restart computer.