Join now - be part of our community!

Vaio VGC M1 Drivers

SOLVED
chc_perpro
Explorer

Vaio VGC M1 Drivers

I have bought second-hand a VGC M1 (which I love) which was loaded with ubuntu.  I have installed Windows XP Pro to access files and folders from a previous machine.  In so doing I uninstalled ubuntu and formatted the drive which, of course, wiped out the drivers.  I downloaded the drivers from Sony which has helped but the screen now has a black border down each side because the picture does not fill the screen.  Does anyone know how to fix this?  Also a couple of the keys have juxtaposed so that the @ symbol is now where the quotes symbol is.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi chc_perpro and welcome.

You can download the drivers for the VGC-M1 from the Support page for that model here: -

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/VGC-M1

You need to look in the XP section and download the "Original Drivers and Utilities Package".  This will download as 'M1_Drivers.zip' and you will need to right-click on the downloaded file and choose 'Extract All'.

From what you say, it sounds like the graphics driver has not been installed.  This should be in the extracted files - probably under the 'Video' folder. Again, it may be a .ZIP file.  If so 'Extract All' again and run "Setup.EXE" from the ATi driver folder.

It also sounds like you have Windows XP set up for a 'US Keyboard' rather than a 'UK-Keyboard'. To change, go to Control Panel -> Regional & Language. On the Language Tab -> Details, click on 'Add' and select English UK from the drop-down box and tick the 'keyboard layout/IME checkbox.  Select 'UK Extended' and OK. .Select US and 'Remove'.  If you get an error, select US again, Remove and Apply, OK.

:wink:

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi chc_perpro and welcome.

You can download the drivers for the VGC-M1 from the Support page for that model here: -

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/VGC-M1

You need to look in the XP section and download the "Original Drivers and Utilities Package".  This will download as 'M1_Drivers.zip' and you will need to right-click on the downloaded file and choose 'Extract All'.

From what you say, it sounds like the graphics driver has not been installed.  This should be in the extracted files - probably under the 'Video' folder. Again, it may be a .ZIP file.  If so 'Extract All' again and run "Setup.EXE" from the ATi driver folder.

It also sounds like you have Windows XP set up for a 'US Keyboard' rather than a 'UK-Keyboard'. To change, go to Control Panel -> Regional & Language. On the Language Tab -> Details, click on 'Add' and select English UK from the drop-down box and tick the 'keyboard layout/IME checkbox.  Select 'UK Extended' and OK. .Select US and 'Remove'.  If you get an error, select US again, Remove and Apply, OK.

:wink:

chc_perpro
Explorer

Thank you very much for your advice.  

Since posting my message I have again tried to download the drivers and utilities.  This time, I was more successful - I didn't realise that I have to open each folder and click on install. Anyway, having done that my screen is now showing as it should but I have now lost my sound!  When I click on install in the folder nothing happens.  This isn't a desperate problem; I have sound on our other pc but it is a nuisance.

I have been doing some more research and on one forum it mentioned that the drivers have to be dowloaded in a specific order - I was really just hoping they would organise themselves;  I am learning far more about the workings of pcs than I ever wanted to!

I am now contemplating re-installing XP and starting again.  I want XP pro so that I can access our old files and folders easily.

You are, of course, perfectly correct about the keyboard.  I had forgotten to switch to UK.

Regards,

Christine