Join now - be part of our community!

Vaio VGN A217 broken video, restore problem

profile.country.it_IT.title
frmanel95
New

Vaio VGN A217 broken video, restore problem

hi,
I have a VGN A217 working perfecly without a LCD monitor (broken) I used it on a external video. I replace a HD and if I try to restore a original Opereting system from a Sony CDs (formatting a nwe HD)I CAN'T SEE ANYTHING ON AN MY EXTERNAL MONITOR!!! It don't show nothimg, but I'm sure that a PC works. Can anybody help me to set a external video on a restore operations ( I thinks there is a video resolution problems or a external video exit setting in this situation)
Thanks in advance for your helps
francesco

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi francesco and welcome.

Sony say that it is not possible to reinstall the OEM system without the laptop screen. This is because the utility programs and drivers that support the VGA output are not installed until the end of the install process so you cannot toggle to the external screen by pressing Fn+F7.

I did hear somewhere that using a XP Install disc may work as generic VGA drivers are available but I have no real evidence that this works - anyway you would lose the VGA output as soon as Windows loads unless you have the drivers and utilities slipstreamed.

I don't think there is an answer as the Vaio Recovery will not let you install with the HDD in another PC or in a caddy. Unless you have a friend with a Vaio A217.

Perhaps someone else has some ideas - but I am not confident of a solution.

:slight_frown: