Join now - be part of our community!

VAIO VGN-FS115Z HDD Upgrade

profile.country.en_GB.title
sgoodch
Visitor

VAIO VGN-FS115Z HDD Upgrade

Hi

I have a 2005 model with a 100GB ATA-6 HDD. Does anyone know whether it is possible to replace this drive with a SATA device please?

sgoodch

Message was edited by: sgoodch

Message was edited by: sgoodch

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi sgoodch and welcome.

I don't think this is possible with a laptop computer.  There is just not enough space to add an IDE to SATA converter to a new SATA drive and then to get it back into the limited space inside the laptop case.

You would also have to find SATA Controller and several drivers that may not be available.

Your Intel 915PM Chipset does support SATA but I think you will need to replace the drive with another ATA hard drive - this is not a problem as PATA drives are available.  If this had been a desktop computer with plenty of space, then it may have been possible.

:thinking:

profile.country.en_GB.title
sgoodch
Visitor

Hi Blencogo

Many thanks for your reply. I'll look into a PATA drive.

sgoodch

sony_2
New

I'm working on the same project - the other answers are only "partially" correct ....

You should look for a 40-pin PATA to mSATA caddy, and then into that fit an mSATA SSD.

It's unlikely you'll see an *astonishing* increase in speed, partly because the PATA (IDE) interface will be a bottleneck, and also 'cos it will have a maximum of 1 gig of memory

Saying that I loaded 32 bit Linux Mint on the stahdard mechanical HDD and it trots along quite nicely, and am moving to SSD as soon as the parts arrive