Join now - be part of our community!

VAIO VGN-FW170J internal data transfer speed

profile.country.en_GB.title
jonfrewin
Visitor

VAIO VGN-FW170J internal data transfer speed

I am a big fan of this laptop, which we've had almost three years.  Since installing Windows 7, and getting all the drivers and buttons working almost perfectly, it has been fantastic.

However, I have a question related to file transfer speeds.  At the moment, Windows is copying a folder structure from one location to another.  The total size is 17Gb, and I'm surprised to see that the files are being transferred at just 11Mb/s.

I say surprised, because when I use an SD card in a dedicated card reader, I get more like 22Mb/s data transfer speed.

Is there some reason that 11Mb/s is correct, or might there be a driver or something else that needs fixing to get things working properly?

Also, when using the built-in SD card reader, I only ever achieve 5Mb/s data transfer, whereas with a dedicated PC card SD slot, or a USB 2 card reader, I attain the much higher data transfer rate listed above.

Does anyone know how I can get the internal Ricoh module to work at a proper speed?  I've followed lots of advice, and am confident I have the latest drivers etc.

THANKS!!!

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.en_GB.title
jonfrewin
Visitor

NOTE: I have just realised that all those figures are implying megabit/s data transfer, but I meant megabyte/s data transfer.

Thanks!