Join now - be part of our community!

Vaio VGN-FW51MF - Heat issue?

profile.country.GB.title
macarte92

Vaio VGN-FW51MF - Heat issue?

This weekend while having a quick bash on EVE online my FW51 black screened on me, this is the first time it happened, the entire system went off and instantly powered off when I touched the off button.

So I left it and later on that day I decided to try again. This time the screen froze and the whole system was unresponsive, I ended up having to do a hard power off and held the power button for 5s till it went off.

After a reboot, I logged in again and it hasn't happened since.

I was using the laptop as normal, flat surface, the second time I even tried it with a notebook cooler I had to see if that helped.

Anyone else had this issue?

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.en_GB.title
expensivebrick
Visitor

its been 10 months, three visits to the repair shop and almost complete exchange of all internal parts and still i get my computer overheating on video applciation when usingthe graphics chip. i can only conclude the vpcz1 is not fit for purpose. its te most expensive brick i've ever purchased.

profile.country.de_DE.title
miclutha
Visitor

it have the same issue, even worse i guess.  Playing Starcraft 2  on lowest settings, that should even work on very bad hardware systems, my notebook is overheating and blackscreening a lot.

feels like it's getting more often.

is this a known issue ?  

profile.country.en_GB.title
haraldo007
Visitor

Bought this model in March 2010.

Today it black screened with various colors streaming down the screen. I quickly turned it off thinking the graphics card had died. Started it up again and all was fine.

I was playing an online game which I often do. I tryed the same game again and 30 mins later it did it again. The machine was very hot on the left hand side.

Now i'm freaked out. I need to know if i i'll need to get a new graphics card. I trust sony will be able to advise. Can i get something to cool it down?