Join now - be part of our community!

Vaio VGN-FZ21S wont boot up

SOLVED

Vaio VGN-FZ21S wont boot up

Hi, I have a vaio which won't start up, all it does is give 1 long beep followed by 2 short beeps and the screen remains totally blank. Do these bleeps mean something ?

Its running Windows Vista Home with 2GB RAM

If anyone has heard of anything like this I'd appreciate it

Many thanks,

Phil

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Phil, welcome to the Sony Users community forums.

The 'Beep Code' is the BIOS's attempt to tell you why your Vaio will not boot.  Have a look at this link: -

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/nonworkingcomponent/ht/beepcodestb.htm

One long and two short beeps usually indicates a checksum error and could indicate a motherboard component failure.  Were you having any problems before it failed to boot?

Try re-seating the Memory Modules and see if that helps.

Unfortunately, your Vaio Model has had a known problem with the nVidia Graphics chip which Sony fixed free of charge for up to 4 years from purchase by replacing the motherboard.  Hopefully this is not the problem. I guess your Vaio is older than 4 years?  Financially, a motherboard replacement is probably not financially viable.  If this proves to be the problem, Google for 'nVidia reflow repair' for a cheaper alternative,

DistortedVideo.jpg

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Phil, welcome to the Sony Users community forums.

The 'Beep Code' is the BIOS's attempt to tell you why your Vaio will not boot.  Have a look at this link: -

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/nonworkingcomponent/ht/beepcodestb.htm

One long and two short beeps usually indicates a checksum error and could indicate a motherboard component failure.  Were you having any problems before it failed to boot?

Try re-seating the Memory Modules and see if that helps.

Unfortunately, your Vaio Model has had a known problem with the nVidia Graphics chip which Sony fixed free of charge for up to 4 years from purchase by replacing the motherboard.  Hopefully this is not the problem. I guess your Vaio is older than 4 years?  Financially, a motherboard replacement is probably not financially viable.  If this proves to be the problem, Google for 'nVidia reflow repair' for a cheaper alternative,

DistortedVideo.jpg

Hi,

Many thanks for the reply

I didn't have any problems before the Vaio packed up but have discovered I can boot it on rare occasions as once the splash screen appears it's OK so I'll get a backup off it then

I've tried re-seated the RAM simms to no avail and suspect it could be a write off

Is it the case that the graphics chip becomes un-soldered from the motherboard and could re-soldering fix it ??

The battery is also faulty as it won't hold charge for any length of time so I guess the only alternative is to purchase a new machine - ho humm

Thanks again for the advice

Phil