Join now - be part of our community!

Vaio VGN-TX1HP Keyboard stopped working

profile.country.en_GB.title
Sparky6911
New

Vaio VGN-TX1HP Keyboard stopped working

Hi All

Hopefully someone can shed some light on this for me as i've searched the web and can't find anything.

I have been given the above laptop by my boss for family use at home.

I put Windows 7 Pro on it updated the drivers and it has been working fine for ages. Suddenly this evening the keyboard stopped working for no apparent reason.

The Laptop was sat on a table and just being used for web browsing.

The only thing to note that is out of the ordinary is that the battery hasn't charged since we got it and i was told that it hasn't for some time, we are not to bothered by that as it will only be used at home.

Thanks for any thoughts in advance

David

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi David,

Is the keyboard present in Device Manager and reported as working correctly, have a yellow warning symbol with an error code, or missing altogether?

You could try shutting down, removing both the power adaptor and battery, and then holding down the power button for 30 seconds. Re-attach the power adaptor and then re-boot.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
Sparky6911
New

Hi Rich

Thanks for the reply, I have done as you suggested with no change.

I have also been into device manager and it is showing Standard PS/2 Ketboard with no warning symbols or error codes.

Regards

David

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi David,

In that case I think you have a hardware problem. You could try removing the device (keyboard) from within Device Manager and then rebooting but I doubt that this will make any difference.

You have the option to contact one of the Sony repair partners or an independent repairer for further diagnosis.

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/repair/asc

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
Sparky6911
New

Hi Rich

Many thanks for your help. I phoned the local repair centre and they quoted £75 just to look at it, so I thought what have I got to lose so I took the keyboard out only to find that the ribbon had come unclipped, fixed it back in and bingo all working.

Now I just need to sort out why the battery is not charging. Any thoughts?

David

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi David,

I’m pleased that you have sorted the keyboard problem.

With regard to the battery, this is a fairly old machine so the chances are the battery has reached the end of its life. The chances of borrowing a compatible battery as a test are slim but a new genuine original will cost in the region of £60/70. I would advise against ‘compatible non original’ as, judging from reports on this forum, either they don’t work or come with a BIOS fix that causes nothing but problems.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat