Join now - be part of our community!

Vaio VPC-F23L1E/B webcam not working on brand new laptop

SOLVED
profile.country.fi_FI.title
ianleiman
Visitor

Vaio VPC-F23L1E/B webcam not working on brand new laptop

The webcam on my brand new Vaio VPC-F23L1E/B is not working.

For example the Arcsoft webcam compaion 4 that comes with the laptop reports that it cannot find any webcam. Same applies to any software I try.

I looked at the Windows 7 device manager, and there is no webcam there. There is one "unknown USB device" for which Windos 7 attempts to install a driver, but it fails. Is supect this might be the device.

I am not sure if the webcam has ever worked on this brand new laptop, but I did use the machine a few days before even trying to use the webcam. Meanwhile it has updated over the Internet a lot of the built-in software.

Any ideas how to proceed?

Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Often Code 43 indicates a hardware problem but you could try the following.

In Device Manager, expand "Universal Serial Bus controllers and delete all.

Then restart your computer and Windows 7 will reinstall all USB controllers automatically.

If this fails to work then I suggest that you contact Support using the link at the top of this page.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi ianleiman,

I am almost certain that your model uses native Windows drivers so, assuming there is no hardware problem, updating the driver from within Device Manager should work.

Try updating the driver for the unknown device and pointing the update wizard at C:\Windows\inf.

If that fails to work then let us know the error code for the unknown device and also the Hardware ID – this can be found by right clicking the device and selecting Properties. Click the details tab and, on the drop down menu select ‘Hardware Ids’. The value should be something similar to: USB\VID_05CA&PID_183E&REV_3422&MI_00

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
ianleiman
Visitor

If the "unknown device" on USB indeed is the missing webcam, Windows still fails to update a proper driver for it. Updating the driver as you advice just gives: "The best driver software for your device is already installed", and "Unknown device".

best-driver.jpg

Below is a PrintScreen from Win7 Device Manager

vaio-device-manager.jpg

Unknown device properties:

unknown-USB-device.jpg

Details / Hardware Ids = USB\UNKNOWN

USB-unknown-hardware-Ids.jpg

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Often Code 43 indicates a hardware problem but you could try the following.

In Device Manager, expand "Universal Serial Bus controllers and delete all.

Then restart your computer and Windows 7 will reinstall all USB controllers automatically.

If this fails to work then I suggest that you contact Support using the link at the top of this page.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
ianleiman
Visitor

I followed your advice, but in addition did shutdown and I removed the laptop battery to make sure all hardware will reset. Perhaps the device was not reset properly before. This did the trick, now the camera is found and working.

Thanks a lot for help and good advice!! :slight_smile:

Below is what it is supposed to look like.

USB-camera-found.jpg

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

That’s great news:smileyhappy:

I should have recommended removing the battery after shutdown to achieve a complete reset so well done for taking the initiative!

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.en_GB.title
bruceton_vaio
Visitor

Thank you SO much for posting up this thread.

I had given up complete hope - I had literally tried everything.

Reinstalled the software, tried messing around with the device manager as instructed here

http://www.kb.sony.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=C1016850...

But still no luck.

I was about to send my laptop to Sony, when I came across this and thought it would be worth a try.

I shut down my computer, disconnected the battery and left it out, powered back on the computer after about 10 seconds of waiting. Said a little prayer. And sure enough, when I went back on to device manager. Imaging Device was now showing and the webcam is working again! I cannot express how happy I am and how much trouble you have saved me. Thanks so, so much for this!

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi bruceton_vaio,

I'm pleased to hear that the solution also worked for you. Thanks for taking the trouble to let us know:smileyhappy:

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
bromero
New

Hello all

Had similar issues with my SVT1312B4E. After 5 months of use built-in camera stopped working all of the sudden. Removed battery for 5 min, back on and voila! now is fine.