Join now - be part of our community!

Vaio VPCEE2M1E won't start

SOLVED
shredhead2
Explorer

Vaio VPCEE2M1E won't start

For the last week or so my 3 and a half year old Vaio hasn't started properly. I press the power button, I can hear it start up but the Vaio screen doesn't appear. After reading another forum I took the battery out, pressed the power button for 2 minutes, then plugged the power cable in and it started. But this cannot continue.

Is it a battery problem?

The only programs I've installed receently has been a Sony Walkman one and a Samsung Kies one.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
shredhead2
Explorer

Laptop now mended!

I took it to a bloke who rescued the data which cost me £30. Hard drive was ok.

Then I took it to another repairer (DEKK computers in Brighton) who sent it to a bloke who took it apart and reballed (resoldered) the graphics chip - apparently these ones commonly overheat andthe solder melts and stops the machine. This cost £80. So I've got my laptop back for £110. Not bad.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Challis1991

A few weeks ago a friend called me with the exact same problem although I know their laptop is a Sony VAIO I am unsure of the model number or even type, anyway I was 100% sure it was screen failure. Be it backlight or anything else related.

How wrong I was.

I went around to said friends to take a look myself and as she wanted the data taking off the hard drive I connected it to my laptop and tried to boot off it with no luck. I then proceeded with a hunch and put my hard drive in her laptop and hey presto it worked!

My recommendation is to try another hard drive as your boot files may have become corrupt resulting in the power on self test failing...
profile.country.GB.title
Nobody-in-particular
Contributor

Hi shredhead2, do you only have problems starting your Vaio when using the battery?

This could be a screen/backlight problem, are you able to connect your vaio to an external monitor?

shredhead2
Explorer

Laptop now mended!

I took it to a bloke who rescued the data which cost me £30. Hard drive was ok.

Then I took it to another repairer (DEKK computers in Brighton) who sent it to a bloke who took it apart and reballed (resoldered) the graphics chip - apparently these ones commonly overheat andthe solder melts and stops the machine. This cost £80. So I've got my laptop back for £110. Not bad.

Hope this helps.