Join now - be part of our community!

Vaio Z11 (2010) - Dynamic Hybrid Graphics Failure

W3bbo
Visitor

Vaio Z11 (2010) - Dynamic Hybrid Graphics Failure

My new Vaio Z11 arrived on Tuesday and I immediately started it up and uninstalling
the bundled shovelware, all that went fine. (But why wasn't the "Clean start" option available on the Z model?)

Anyway, I went through installing all the Windows Updates and Vaio Updates and restarted

...only to find the Dynamic Hybrid Graphics switch stopped working, I was stuck with using the Intel GMA and the switch icon isn't visible in the notification area anymore. The LEDs on the body to show Speed or Stamnia no-longer light up, only the Auto LED lights up when selected (which looks like it's implemented in hardware, not software).

The Vaio Event service is running.

Of note, the Device Manager shows the NVidia GeForce 330M device cannot start due to Error 31 despit having the drivers installed. Curiously there is also 4 entries for "NVidia High Definition Audio" listed as disabled... but I thought my latop only had Realtek HD Audio?

I tried phoning Sony about this, but they don't provide evening or weekend phone support (wtf) and I cannot create an email incident because the support site rejects my serial number (in fact, it rejects *anything* I put into the serial number field).

Has anyone else experienced anything similar and found any solutions?

I did run recovery and restore the system to its initial state and the switch worked again, but after installing the updates it stopped working again, but I only noticed this after logging in under my domain account. Please don't tell me Sony's hardwar is somehow incompatible with Active Directory, otherwise I'll have to return this otherwise wonderful piece of hardware.

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Sadly, I have no experience of this but you may like to do some reading here: -

Vaio Z Hybrid Graphics

:thinking: