Join now - be part of our community!

Various VGX-XL301 issues

FergusB
Visitor

Various VGX-XL301 issues

I am just getting to grips with my new VGX-XL301 / 40W2000 combination but have a few difficulties:

The VGX--XL301 is connected to the 40W2000 using HDMI. While using the PC in either standard Vista or Media Centre mode, if I change over the TV's HDMI source to my SkyHD box, when I change back to the PC, there is no signal. The PC appears to be still functioning (i.e. some drive access on indicator) but the screen remains blank. Nothing I do seems to 'wake it up'. My only solution is to power down the PC and start it again, which is not good.

My SkyHD box is connected to the VGX via S-video. Unfortunately, this seems to mean that I can't record in widescreen mode. Is there any way of doing this as I would like to transfer some stuff from the Sky box HDD to DVD.

Since getting the system, I am not happy with the quality of the video using Media Centre. If I look at Live TV, which in my case is only the S-video input from the SkyHD box, the picture quality is quite poor. I don't know the technical description but it looks like something that was downloaded from the internet - blotchy colours and blurred moving images. As the source S-video is quite good, I presume that it is a setting that I am missing but where? When I go back to Vista desktop and use Sony's DVD creating software, the capture quality is acceptable so I know the hardware is OK.

Sorry if any of this stuff has been covered before. Would appreciate anyone's comments or assistance. Thanks!

15 REPLIES 15
Branigan
Visitor

I had exactly the same issues,

Use Component video cables for video & seperate audio cables, HDMI cables transmit digital messages between the TV & PC, when the PC thinks it has no output source it automatically goes to sleep (Google EDID's for further info). Component is an analogue video connection capable of 1080p output the same as HDMI.

ChalkyWhite71
Visitor

How did you get on Tim?

My issues are mainly the fact that my XL201 with XP MCE boots from standy to the black screen despite it having last been working fine to HDMI before sleep. If i switch projector on over component, i can see the screen and use Control Panel to switch it back to HDMI "TV" setting. I can't figure a way to remove the projector "HDTV" option from NVidia control panel, so that i can test whether it's the two output options overriding each other.

I keep getting Bad Tuner errors in my recording history, associated with my Hauppauge twin-tuner, but haven't had time to investigate this one yet.

Not a happy XL201 chappy really. 😞

jimmyhank
Visitor

Hi Guys - I just applied these drivers from SOny Support and it has solved my problems except for the switching between AV sources on my TV when the sound gets screwed up if you are playing audio/music through an AV receiver.

Please ensure that updates for your system are applied from the following address:

http://support.vaio.sony.co.uk/downloads/updates/updates.asp?site=voe_en_GB_con s&c=-1&s=-1&m=2562

Most notably the HDMI Software 071025c, and nVidia Video Driver 7.15.10.9813

I only updated the HDMI which in fact was a downgrade from 2.7 to 2.6.

Hope this helps.

ChalkyWhite71
Visitor

Hi Jimmy, a space crept into your linky, but by removing this the link takes me to the XL301 drivers page. I have a 201 but i could try the Nvidia drivers, which don't appear for 201.

I've already tried the HDMI firmware, which as you say downgraded, but strangley the process also says to rollback the Nvidia driver afterwards. Odd!

thornsdale
Visitor

I guess that Sony page has changed since this was posted but just where do I find

Most notably the HDMI Software 071025c

NB I did fix the link by removing the space.

jimmyhank
Visitor

I would contact Sony Support if I were you - they should be able to get you the driver version required.

Sorry I can't be any more helpful.

Jimmy