Join now - be part of our community!

VGL-XL100 - DVD ISSUE

red1703
Visitor

VGL-XL100 - DVD ISSUE

i am currently trying to set up a new VGL-XL100 Media Centre but I have encountered an issue which seems to be a flaw in the system.
The PC is connected to a projector via component video but will not play back DVD's via Media Centre or in WinDVD, Media Player etc.
I have read some other forums who suggest that there is some kind of copy protection on the machine (graphics card i think) which i stopping DVD playback.
Has anyone else encountered / solved this problem.
Surely Sony shipping a brand new 'Media Centre' PC should have tested that DVDs are able to play back !!!

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Yep - it's due to some sort of copy protection.

Do you not have HDMI on the projector?

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

It does say in the manual that Copy Protected content can only be displayed via HDMI.

Is this Media Centre Concept flawed?

:thinking:

red1703
Visitor

Hi, yes i do have HDMI on the projector, but the component cable is run in the ceiling and HDMI is not a the moment which is why for the short term i want to use the component. I've been in contact with VaioLink about the problem and they are giving me the impression i'm the first person with this problem, but i'm probably not by the sounds of it !!

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

I don't think it is a flaw in the system - it is purposefully designed that way as part of the DRM setup.

Software encryption and CSS has failed to prevent piracy and we are now seeing hardware DRM. Part of this seems to be that copy protected media can only be displayed via HDMI. Nothing wrong with that as long as it is fully explained up-front in the marketing blurb so that all buyers are aware that they must have a HDMI connection to watch any protected DVDs.

I'll be interested to hear the response you get from Support.

:wink:

kee-lo_

This hardware DRM is more of a hinderance than a help

lowedb
Visitor

Your'e not the first with the problem. I was in touch with them within days of the launce with exactly the same problem.

The solution, albeit a poor one, is to reduce the screen resolution when you want to play DVDs. You do this via the nVidia control and tell the machine you have a standard TV instead of a Hidef.

I can't believe that I'm having to tell you this, and that they can't. I wonder if they should be paying us on this forum.

I agree it is mentioned in the manual, but buried so it's hard to find. And, it doesn't tell you the workaround either.

kee-lo_

LOL shove it on eBay as "an excellent state-of-the-art media centre worth every penny"