Join now - be part of our community!

VGN-B1VP not 40GB!?

alok
Visitor

VGN-B1VP not 40GB!?

I received my Sony Notebook VGN-B1VP and was expecting to see it equpped with a 40GB hard drive, but when i checked, there were two hard drives, and one was a 13.9GB, and the other 16.3GB This only totals to 30.2GB and not 40. Please coukd somebody advise me as to whether this piece only has the wrong hard drive, or if there is a mass of misprints regarding the memory.

42 REPLIES 42
TygerTyger
Visitor

3 x 9 CD's? Screw that, I wouldn't give Sony the satisfaction of ripping you off so badly. What I would do if your computer is new(ish) is create the set then try a recovery straight away to test them. If they work then as Rob says stick them in a drawer somewhere and don't touch them.

All this crap is making my blood pressure rise again. And I still after all this time don't understand why some computers come with it done and some don't, it doesn't seem to be done by price. My computer wasn't the cheapest but certainly not in the top price range, and it came with no recovery partition. Instead a premade recovery DVD from which I can install individual programs if I need (But only after the computer is up and running, it's still all or nothing on the recovery itself).

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Personally I would make my own Norton Ghost backup, no need for Sony cr&p.

TygerTyger
Visitor

You shouldn't have to buy Norton Ghost because Sony are incompetent. Taking up a full quarter of a brand new hard drive with the recovery disk really is a steaming load of horse wossnames.

kee-lo_

I got Ghost free with something - can't remember what it was.

robpaxton
Explorer

Taking up a full quarter of a brand new hard drive with the recovery disk really is a steaming load of horse wossnames.

The above is very true and encompasses my views on the matter precisely :cool:

kee-lo_

I agree totally, it's sacralidge

Woody27
Visitor

TT, Rob, Kee-Lo,

TOTALLY agree!

What are Sony thinking of, they are starting to take the p**s! :angry:

You'd expect this type of cheap skate behaviour of the likes of the now defunct Tiny Computers!

Sony !!... ...notice the DEFUNCT bit!

CW

kee-lo_

:laughing:

magnumopus
Visitor

Daft as it is, it all comes down to price and licensing costs. I don't have exact figures but the way Sony have done it is the cheapest method possible.

However, considering in just the few days I've been here this is a subject that's cropped up several times already. Maybe something Sony should consider changing if they ever read these forums. For a manufacturer of Sony's size and reputation it really does give a bad impression.

Woody27
Visitor

Daft as it is, it all comes down to price and licensing costs. I don't have exact figures but the way Sony have done it is the cheapest method possible.

Problem is that VAIOs are not cheap!

That's why I would'nt expect this of Sony, the software and recovery disk support is one of the many reasons that I bought my VAIO!

It certainly was'nt the price!

Could have got some cheap crap (without recovery disks) for half the price I payed for my VAIOs!

If they lowered the price.... ...well, maybe that would be a differnt story! :smileygrin:

Actually, I still think this new practice of not supplying recovery disks would be pretty shoddy... ...even if the VAIO prices were lowered! :slight_frown:

CW