Join now - be part of our community!

VGN-FW11M - Vista will not load

profile.country.en_GB.title
chris941
Visitor

VGN-FW11M - Vista will not load

Hi,

I have a VGN-FW11M, its a few years old now, but does what I need it for to Skype with the family while I work away.  This morning it failed to load windows vista.

Windows error message  Failed to start due  to hardware or software change.  Launch Startup Repair, but all I get is a black screen with cursor only after its ran.

I have tried to boot using my recovery disk but still get the same black screen with cursor only. CD is primary boot.

Go to  Windows Boot manager and select: Windows Memory Diagnostic and no problems recorded.  Reboots and black screen with Cursor only.

F8, tried to start: Safe, Safe with network & with comd and still get black screen and curosr only.

So any advice on how to get windows running again please.

Thanks

Chris

3 REPLIES 3
austingrd
Visitor

"CD is primary boot" - Something got changed here. Primary boot should be HDD, not CD.

You can go to BIOS and check the boot device priority and maje sure HDD is the first one. 

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

austingrd wrote:

"CD is primary boot" - Something got changed here. Primary boot should be HDD, not CD.

All Vaios are set to boot first from the DVD/CD-ROM drive.  This is the most sensible setting in the BIOS as it enables you to boot from a bootable CD without having to change any settings in the BIOS.  If there is no bootable media in the DVD drive or USB ports, boot automatically moves to the HDD.

Hi Chris and welcome.

I don't think there is an easy answer to this one.  You may have a faulty hard drive or corrupted Windows files.  How good are your backups?  It doesn't sound too good that you can't boot from the CD drive.

Press F2 during boot to open the BIOS screens.  Is the Hard Drive Recognised OK?

If the HDD is recognised, you can try downloading a Vista Repair Disc.

http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/windows-vista-recovery-disc-download/

Does anything happen when you press Ctrl+Alt+Del?

You can try a full system recovery back to factory condition by tapping F10 during startup but you will lose any data and programs you have installed since new.

:thinking:

chris941
Visitor

Hi Blencogo,

Thanks for you reply.  In BIOS is showing HD My backup disks run ok in another Laptop.  I have tried to use the recovery F10 but only get black screen and cursor.  Will try the download but it may not work in cannot load from CD .  Will let you know how I get on.

Thanks

Chris